[R-G] African-Americans slam Obama in White House protest

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at resist.ca
Sun Nov 8 18:35:42 MST 2009

African-Americans slam Obama in White House protest

(AFP) – 1 day ago

WASHINGTON — Decrying Barack Obama as "white power in black face,"
hundreds of African-Americans marched on the White House Saturday to
protest policies of the first black US president, and demand that he
bring US troops home.

More than 200 people gathered for the first public demonstration by
African Americans against the Obama administration since his historic
inauguration in January, and slammed the president for continuing what
they described as Washington's "imperialist" agenda around the world.

"We recognize that Barack Hussein Obama is white power in black face,"
civil rights activist Omali Yeshitela, chairman of the Black is Back
coalition which arranged the protest, called into a megaphone as the
group marched outside the mansion's gates.

"He is a tool of our imperialist enemies and we demand our freedom. And
we demand that Obama withdraw all the troops from Afghanistan right now."

Protesters also called for Obama to order troops out of Iraq and to
scrap Africom, the controversial year-old United States Africa Command,
and demanded "hands off" Venezuela and ends to the Cuba embargo and the
Zimbabwe blockade.

Several demonstrators held up placards bearing messages such as "US out
of Afghanistan" and "Stop US war against Iraq."

Charles Baron, a New York city councilman and former member of the Black
Panthers, a Black Power movement in the mid-1960s and 1970s, attacked
the president for turning a cold shoulder to the plight of
African-Americans.

"We're not satisfied with him, and... this hope and change rap has not
been a reality for black people," Baron told AFP during the demonstration.

"We are glad that Barack Obama broke up the white male monopoly on the
White House, but we were not looking for a change in the occupant of the
White House from white to black, we were looking for change in foreign
policies and domestic policies," he added.

"To have a black person exploiting me just like a white person, that's
no easier pain."

The group also was calling for the release of former Black Panther Mumia
Abu-Jamal, who was convicted in 1982 of killing a white police officer
and sentenced to death.

The US Supreme Court upheld Abu-Jamal's conviction in April and rejected
his bid for a new trial.

Black Americans voted overwhelmingly for Democrat Obama in last year's
election, when he defeated Republican Senator John McCain.

About 13 percent of US citizens are African-Americans.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hQPy9x-3dKK0YOBQ3crtDlhOp8xA