[R-G] The Super-Revolutionaries: Fidel

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at resist.ca
Tue Sep 4 15:48:14 MDT 2007

September 4, 2007
We Don't Hope for Favors from the Worst of Empires
The Super-Revolutionaries

By FIDEL CASTRO

Every day I carefully read the opinions about Cuba in the traditional
press agency releases, including those from the peoples which were part
of the USSR, those from the People's Republic of China and others. News
reaches me from the Latin America press, from Spain and the rest of Europe.

The picture is increasingly uncertain as we face the fear of a prolonged
recession like that of the 1930s. On July 22, 1944, the United States
government received the privileges granted in Bretton Woods to the most
powerful military power, that of minting the dollar as the international
exchange currency. After the war, in 1945, with its economy intact, that
country had at its disposal almost 70 percent of the world gold
reserves. On August 15, 1971, Nixon unilaterally decided to suspend the
gold backing for each dollar minted. With this he financed the slaughter
in Vietnam in a war that cost more than 20 times the real value of its
remaining gold reserves. Since then, the United States economy is
sustained by natural resources and the savings of the rest of the world.

The theory of continuous growth from investment and consumption, applied
by the most developed to the countries where the vast majority is poor,
surrounded by luxuries and the wastefulness of a tiny minority of
wealthy individuals, is not only humiliating but destructive, too. That
pillage, and its disastrous consequences, is the cause of peoples'
growing rebelliousness, even though very few are aware of the history
behind the events.

The most gifted and cultivated intellects are included on the list of
natural resources and they have their price tags on the world market of
goods and services.

What is happening with the super-revolutionaries of the so-called far
left? Some simply lack realism while others enjoy the pleasure of
dreaming sweet dreams. Others still are far from being dreamers and are
experts in the subject; they know what they are saying and why they are
saying it. It is a well conceived trap that should be avoided. They
recognize our breakthroughs as if it were a favor to us. Are they really
short of information? That is not how it is. I can assure you that they
are absolutely well informed. In certain cases, the alleged friendship
with Cuba allows them to attend numerous international meetings and chat
with as many people from abroad or from the country as they want,
without any objection from our imperial neighbor just 90 miles away from
the Cuban shores.

What is their advice to the Revolution? It's pure poison; the most
typical of the neoliberal formulae.

The blockade does not exist; it would appear to be a Cuban invention.

They underestimate the Revolution's most colossal achievement, its work
in education, the massive cultivation of peoples' talents. They sustain
that some must live doing simple and rough work. They underestimate the
results and exaggerate the costs of scientific investments. Even worse:
they overlook the value of the healthcare services that Cuba provides to
the world; actually, with modest resources the Revolution is stripping
bare the system imposed by imperialism which is lacking the human
personnel to carry it out. They advise investments which are ruinous,
and the services they provide, such as rent, are practically free. If
foreign investments in housing had not been stopped in time, they would
have constructed tens of thousands wi thout any more resources than the
prior sales of that same housing to foreign residents in Cuba or abroad.
Furthermore, they were joint enterprises governed by a legislation
intended for productive companies. There were no limits for the
authority of the buyers as owners. The country would supply services to
those residents or clients, without the need of being knowledgeable in
science or computers. Many of the dwellings could be acquired by the
enemy intelligence agencies or their allies.

We need some of the joint enterprises since they control very necessary
markets. But you can hardly flood the country with money and not sell
our sovereignty.

The super-revolutionaries who prescribe such medication deliberately
ignore other resources which are truly decisive for the economy, such as
the growing production of gas which, when purified, becomes an
invaluable source of electricity without affecting the environment and
brings with it hundreds of millions of dollars each year. About the
Energy Revolution promoted by Cuba, of vital and decisive importance for
the world, not one word is spoken. They go even further: they see an
energy advantage for the island in the production of sugarcane --a crop
that was grown in Cuba with semi-slave labor-- to counter the high cost
of diesel being guzzled by the au tomobiles of the United States,
Western Europe and other developed countries. The egotistical instinct
is being fostered in human beings while the price of food is doubling
and tripling.

Nobody has been more critical of our own revolutionary work than I have,
but they shall never see me hoping for favors or apologies from the
worst of the empires.
--
Macdonald Stainsby
Coordinator, http://oilsandstruth.org