[Marxism] Ivy League students protest financial employers

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 12 08:04:19 MST 2012

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/01/12/ivy-league-students-protest-financial-employers

Ivy League students protest financial employers [1]
Submitted by Allie Grasgreen [2] on January 12, 2012 - 3:00am

Most students involved in the Occupy movement can’t just pick up
and leave for Wall Street. So some at elite colleges have been
letting Wall Street come to them. Taking advantage of their
special access to investment banking firms such as JP Morgan-Chase
and Goldman Sachs Group Inc., which have long sought employees
from those campuses (and been eagerly received), Ivy League
students crashed a handful of December recruiting sessions,
leading the firms to cancel other scheduled visits, and making for
some seriously awkward first impressions.

Unsurprisingly, the incidents got a lot of attention on campuses –
even when the job market isn’t dismal, finance recruitment
sessions are major networking opportunities for elite students.
The tactic also marked a shift, however small, for the college
Occupy movement, which up to this point had primarily targeted
either their institutions or Wall Street as a whole. And while
some non-occupiers may have found those rallies annoying, they
didn’t disrupt valuable job-seeking time.

But the strategy of going after job recruiters is rooted in
history – during the Vietnam War, for instance, students protested
the Dow Chemical Company and others who produced supplies. And
scholars say that yet again, it has raised questions about the
moral responsibilities of universities and those they enroll,
while spotlighting the unique role elite students can play in
social movements.

“I don’t get the sense that they’re trying to build a consensus on
campus about these firms so much as raise awareness of their own
criticisms,” said Angus Johnston, a student activism [3] historian
and adjunct assistant history professor at the City University of
New York’s Hostos Community College. “I think that it’s a
reflection of an awareness as students at these elite
universities, that there’s an intimacy to their relationships with
these powerful institutions. And they’re trying to figure out what
to do with that access, what to do with the influence they have
and how to deploy what power they have.”

Goldman Sachs canceled (or turned into webinars) sessions at
Harvard and Brown Universities after a group of Harvard students,
who had been barred from a previous recruitment meeting because of
their clothes and lack of résumés, hovered outside the meeting
room, chanting.

It served as a valuable lesson to 18 Princeton students, who,
dressed in suits with résumés in hand, got into a Dec. 7 JP
Morgan-Chase session unnoticed. But in a “mic check” – in which
the entire group repeats one person’s speech, shouting line by
line, to reach more people without a microphone – they put the
recruiters on the spot.

“Princeton’s motto is: in the nation’s service, and in the service
of all nations,” the students recited, to the clear surprise and
discomfort of a handful of recruiters. “JP Morgan, your actions
violate our motto. Your predatory lending practices helped crash
our economy. We bailed out your executives’ bonuses. You evict
struggling homeowners while taking their tax money. You support
mountaintop removal mining in Appalachia, which destroys our
ecological future. In light of these actions, we protest the
campus culture that whitewashes the crooked dealings of Wall
Street as a prestigious career path. We are here today as a voice
for the 99 percent, shut out by a system that punishes them just
for being born without privilege. What we need is not a university
for the 1 percent, but a university in the nation’s service, and
in the service of all nations.”

The students then promptly picked up and walked out, leaving about
half the classroom desks empty.

Their second attempt, the following night at a Goldman Sachs
session in a Princeton lecture hall, was met with slightly more
resistance – at least one student who was there for the session
yelled at the protesters to “shut up already.” (That night, in
fact, the protesters included a special message for those
students: telling them they could do better for themselves and
society, and their “talents will be wasted” if all the best and
brightest go to Wall Street. The Dec. 8 mic check clocked in at
close to four minutes, about double that of the previous evening.)

The protesters faced some pushback from peers who weren't directly
affected by their actions, too. The Harvard Crimson [4]
editorialized in defense of students seeking employment at Goldman
Sachs, as well as (somewhat ambivalently) the firm itself. "It
would be convenient if we could easily paint Goldman Sachs as the
evil enemy of the 99 percent, but it's more complicated than
that," the editorial board wrote. "To exhort students to consider
their contribution to society when choosing a career is one thing,
but to target those who want to work for Goldman Sachs misses the
point; whatever negative impact the company has on our economy is
due to structural issues rather than questions of individual
morality. Deterring a couple dozen Harvard students from working
at Goldman will not change income inequality nor will it create a
more equitable society. Goldman will just hire the next people in
line."

Many commenters on The Daily Princetonian [5], meanwhile, called
the protesters childish and rude, and called them out for
targeting a demographic that includes many of Princeton's donors.
"Drop out of Princeton and enroll in a publicly funded university.
Otherwise, you are complaining about the ultra-rich at the same
time as you are suckling from their teat," one person wrote.
Another said, "Fellow students -- nobody stands in your way. Go
build something.... You are only limited by your capabilities, not
the system, sorry."

Princeton isn’t aware of any changes to future recruiting events
or of any waning interest from students considering jobs at such
firms, said a university spokesman, Martin A. Mbugua. Dozens of
employers representing more than 40 companies host information
sessions every semester, he said, and university regulations
dictate that “students are free to express themselves as long as
they do not disrupt events to the extent that the event could not
proceed, or prevent others from participating.”

Rakesh Khurana, a professor of leadership development at Harvard
who just wrapped up a case study on Occupy Wall Street, lives in
one of the university residence halls and has spoken with students
at length about the movement. (There, interest in finance careers
has been on the downturn since the recession began in 2007,
according to a Harvard Crimson survey [6]; 20.7 percent of
graduating seniors last year planned to enter finance and
consulting, marking the first year the sector was not the top
choice among students.)

“There’s a sense among students who easily could feel entitled
that they have a responsibility to society, as leaders, to improve
that society, and that right now for many people that society
doesn’t seem to be working,” Khurana said, adding that the number
of students interested in solving the world’s problems –
environmental, economic, social – is “amazing.”  “I think what we
have to do as an institution is to make it easier for students to
see the path by which they can do that. We haven’t created, in
many ways, the clarity of the career paths in which you get to go
do those things.”

Khurana explored these themes in his book From Higher Aims to
Hired Hands: The Social Transformation of American Business
Schools and the Unfulfilled Promise of Management as a Profession
[7], asserting that, having strayed from their original intent to
create management as a profession in which an individual used
knowledge to advance societal interests, business schools have
lost their direction. But top business schools that attract
applicants who will get good jobs still have motivation to change,
Khurana said in a 2007 interview with Inside Higher Ed [8] –
precisely because of the grievances aired at the recruiting
sessions. “There seems to be a growing sense among students,
faculty and administrators that business education needs to change
and that business itself may be at an inflection point with
respect to its societal responsibilities,” Khurana said at the time.

So which businesses are deserving of the students’ ire? Khurana
says they can tell the difference between a Steve Jobs and a JP
Morgan. “In the minds of a lot of the protesters, there was a very
clear distinction between the kind of business that he was doing
and what banks did and what the financial service industry is doing.”

In their second mic check, the Princeton students mentioned how
Occupiers and non-Occupiers alike laugh about going "to the dark
side," and making fun of investment firms' rich executives. But if
people keep confronting the firms in this way, students might
start taking those jokes more seriously, Johnston said.

"If taking these jobs comes to be seen as sort of ethically
disreputable, that's a shift that's going to affect the choices
that students make," he said. "If you are embarrassed to admit
that you're going to go to work for one of these firms, that's an
argument against picking that kind of a job. I think that that was
a cultural shift you saw in the 1960s, where in 1957 if you said
you were going to go work for Dow, that was a very exciting thing.
But if in 1969 you said you were going to work for Dow, that made
you a persona non grata in a lot of circles."
Source URL:
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/01/12/ivy-league-students-protest-financial-employers

Links:
[1]