[Marxism] Juan Cole responds to Alexander Cockburn

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Sep 3 17:50:58 MDT 2011

http://www.juancole.com/2011/09/qaddafi-was-a-cia-asset.html

Qaddafi was a CIA Asset

Posted on 09/03/2011 by Juan

Human Rights Watch found documents in Libya after the fall of Muammar
Qaddafi that it passed on to the Wall Street Journal, which is analyzing
them. The WSJ reported today that the documents show that Qaddafi
developed so warm a relationship with George W. Bush that Bush sent
people he had kidnapped (“rendition”) to Libya to be “questioned” by
Libya’s goons, and almost certainly to be tortured. The formal paperwork
asked Libya to observe human rights, but Bush’s office also sent over a
list of specific questions it wanted the Libyan interrogators to ask.
Qaddafi also gave permission to the CIA from 2004 to establish a formal
presence in the country.

Qaddafi had been on the outs with the West for decades, but was
rehabilitated once he gave up his ‘weapons of mass destruction’ programs
(Qaddafi had no unconventional weapons, and no obvious ability to
develop them, so his turning over to Bush of a few rotting diagrams that
had been buried was hardly a big deal.

I have been going blue in the face pointing out that Muammar Qaddafi is
not a progressive person, and that in fact his regime was in its last
decades a helpmeet to the international status quo powers.

Now it turns out that Qaddafi was hand in glove with Bush regarding
“interrogation” of the prisoners sent him from Washington.

Alexander Cockburn’s outfit has been trying to smear me by suggesting
that I had some sort of relationship with the CIA, when all I ever did
was give talks in Washington at think tanks to which analysts came to
listen; when you speak to the public you speak to all kinds of people. I
never was a direct consultant and never had a contract or employment
with the agency itself. I spoke to a wide range of USG personnel in
those talks in Washington in the Bush years, including the State
Department, the Drug Enforcement Agency, and even local police officers,
and the intelligence analysts were just part of the audience.

In fact, we now know that the Bush administration was upset that I was
given a hearing in Washington and was influential with the analysts, and
asked the CIA to spy on me and attempt to destroy my reputation.

So how delicious is it that those who supported Qaddafi, or opposed
practical steps to keep him from slaughtering the protest movement (such
as A. Cockburn and his hatchet man John Walsh), were de facto allies of
the CIA themselves– and not just allies of the analysts, who try to
understand the intelligence, but allies of the guys doing “rendition,”
i.e. kidnapping suspects off the street and having them “interrogated.”