[Marxism] How Global Investors Make Money Out of Hunger

Arthur Rymer arthurymer at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 19:38:54 MDT 2011

--- On Fri, 9/2/11, Tristan Sloughter <tristan.sloughter at gmail.com> wrote:

 http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,783654,00.html

 I live in Chicago and work just down the street from the CBOT in a building consisting of a number of trading related companies. The men in colored mesh jackets are everywhere.

They don't deal with 'food' in the grain market and others they deal with
widgets'. No thought of what a widget is or who needs it is thought of.

==
The link is to:
SPIEGEL ONLINE
09/01/2011 01:18 PM
Speculating with Lives
How Global Investors Make Money Out of Hunger
By Horand Knaup, Michaela Schiessl and Anne Seith

But Bertolt Brecht and Hanns Eisler summed it up in 1930:

Song of Supply and Demand

Rice can be had down the river.
People in the remoter provinces need their rice.
If we can keep that rice off the market
Rice is bound to get dearer.
Then the men who pull the barges must go short of rice
And I shall get my rice for even less.

By the way, what is rice?

Don't ask me what rice is.
Don't ask me my advice.
I've no idea what rice is:
All I have learned is its price.

In winter time the coolies need warm clothing.
Then you must buy cotton so that
You can keep cotton off the market.
When a cold spell comes, then clothes get more expensive.
Our cotton spinning mills pay too high wages.
And cotton's too plentiful in any case.

By the way, what is cotton?

Don't ask me what cotton is.
Don't ask me my advice.
I've no idea what cotton is:
All I have learned is its price.

Working men need too much feeding
And this makes a man's work dearer.
To provide for his feeding you need women.
Our cooks can make a meal cheaper but look at
Those eaters making it dearer.
And we could use more men here in any case.

By the way, what is a man?

Don't ask me what a man is.
Don't ask me my advice.
I've no idea what a man is:
All I have learned is his price.

Music sample © 1999 Festival Records. Translation by John Willett in Bertolt Brecht: Poems and Songs from the Plays © 1990 by Methuen London.