[Marxism] Siberia Monamour; The Edge

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Oct 29 15:53:16 MDT 2011

Something tells me that Russian film is going through some kind of
renaissance. My first inkling was “Silent Souls”, Aleksei Fedorchenko’s
meditation on love and loss among the Merjan people that I reviewed last
month. Like “Silent Souls”, two recent films are set in Russia’s
hinterlands and to be sure, there is nothing more hinter than Siberia.
Last night I saw “Siberia, Monamour” that kicked off the Eleventh Annual
Russian Film Week in New York at the Village East theater. If this film
is any indication of the quality of the films being shown at this
festival through November 5th, and I suspect it is, New Yorkers are
strongly urged to check out the schedule and make time for something
special. Also set in Siberia is “The Edge”, a striking mixture of life
in the gulag and steam locomotives! It opens at the Laemmle Theater in
Los Angeles on November 23rd. Both of these films capture the visual
beauty of the Siberian taiga (mountainous forests resembling the
Canadian Rockies) as well as its physical and psychological isolation.
Superior story telling and performances mark both as well. While neither
one is explicitly political, it is obvious that both represent attempts
to come to grips with the Soviet experience.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2011/10/29/siberia-monamour-the-edge/