[Marxism] Occupy Melbourne under police attack -- solidarity needed

Stuart Munckton stuartmunckton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 22:42:38 MDT 2011

*http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/49153*
*Update -- 3.35: *3CR <http://www.3cr.org.au/> just spoke to a legal
representative, Leanne, on the violent police smashing of the Occupy
Melbourne camp at City Square. Leanne said it was a shock to see "this kind
of brute force happening today against a group of people sitting around
discussion our society. It is over the top and shocking."

She said people, young people in particular, have been traumatised by the
actions the police. She said she had been involved in demonstrations for
more than 25 years, but "never in my life seen that level of police
violence". She said there were "horses, dogs, riot gear, pepper spray.
People being dragged, thrown, kicked and punched."

She said there were a range of people are trying to help those who have been
hurt or arrested.

A report from Occupy Melbourne said police destroyed all tents and equipment
of the camp.