[Marxism] Alexander Cockburn's curious affinity for Ron Unz

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 3 09:35:36 MDT 2011

You do not have to be a  Sun Tzu of political science or even Karl
Rove who famously insisted on cultivating the Hispanic vote  for
his client George W. Bush, to see that the middle and long-term
future of the Republican Party will not be enhanced, may even be
doomed to permanent minority status,  by bashing  immigrants.
There have been political parties in history whose ideological
colors are so obdurately nailed to rotten masts that ultimately
they slide forever beneath the waves. Is this to be the fate of
the Republican Party, despite the disastrous consequences of its
earlier amours with nativism during the Irish and kindred ethnic
immigrations a century and more ago?

Original thinking on this issue is rare, which is why an  essay by
Ron Unz in The American Conservative is so interesting. Unz is the
publisher of TAC, and some readers may recall a Diary I devoted in
March of 2010 to his conclusive demolition of the scare stories,
promoted by Lou Dobbs and other rabble rousers, about a Hispanic
crime wave swollen by brown gangbangers to city-destroying
proportions. As I noted back then, I count Unz as a friend,
supportive of left ventures such as CounterPunch as well as of The
American Conservative, whose tiller he took over in 2007.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2011/09/30/goodbye-%E2%80%9Cpeak-oil%E2%80%9D-hello-glut/

---