[Marxism] Chris Hedges in despair

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 22 09:09:48 MST 2010

On 11/22/2010 11:01 AM, David Thorstad wrote:
> Capitalism has entered one of its most historic crises, yet where is the rebellion?

Nowhere right now, but that's what you might expect from
historical tendencies that began to take shape in the mid-70s. If
the left had not engaged in self-immolation, perhaps it would be
able to help galvanize opposition to the onslaught taking place.
We should understand by now that economic misery does not lead
automatically to rebellion. If that were the case, then places
like Paraguay or Malawi would have had revolutions long ago. It is
more complicated than that.

>       Other leftists still think a Bolshevik-style "vanguard party" will
> help to bring the requisite consciousness to the oppressed masses. But
> that approach has been dead for a long time.

Not here. In any case, this statement helps me to understand
David's tortured logic around any number of issues.

> It's enough to make one ask where the Narodniki are when we really need
> them.

Are you serious? I am afraid so...

>       Hope? Faith? If that's what remains it means that a Marxist view of
> revolutionary change and the acquisition of revolutionary consciousness
> by the masses amounts to little more than a quasi-religious belief.

David, didn't we have this debate with people like Mark Rudd 40
years ago?