[Marxism] If only....

Matt matt2641 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 09:43:48 MST 2010

While I can't agree with the nonsense about refusing to return
"religious" artifacts to states/social formations that no longer revere
them, as a historian I believe that the case of the Buddhas of Bamyan
creates serious concerns about "repatriation,"  which I place in quotes
because of the rather ahistorical construction that links the
present-day states of Iraq or Egypt with the states/social formations
that existed in those geographical areas millennia ago.  That does not
mean, of course, that allowing them to remain with the imperialist
thieves who took them is a good idea either.  Just that this issue is a
bit more complicated than we'd like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhas_of_Bamyan

Matt