[Marxism] Krugman exposes scam of deficit commission-

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 07:27:10 MST 2010

On 2010-11-12, at 7:48 AM, Fred Feldman quoted Paul Krugman:

> It's no mystery what has happened on the deficit commission: as so often
> happens in modern Washington, a process meant to deal with real problems has
> been hijacked on behalf of an ideological agenda. Under the guise of facing
> our fiscal problems, Mr. Bowles and Mr. Simpson are trying to smuggle in the
> same old, same old - tax cuts for the rich and erosion of the social safety

Of course, it hasn't been "hijacked" because it was never meant to deal with "real problems", whatever Krugman understands these to be.  Like a string of previous commissions, it's another effort to lay pipe for an "ideological agenda" aimed at US social programs. The purpose is first to continue softening public opinion and, second, to define the parameters for the haggling between Democrats and Republicans over the mix of tax hikes and program cuts which would follow if its recommendations become the basis for negotations - which I doubt. None of this is a revelation to anyone here.