[Marxism] Why Misogynists Make Great Informants: THANK YOU MY BROTHAH!!!!!

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jul 19 10:02:11 MDT 2010

Homo Indeterminatus wrote:

> I'm really glad to see this topic raised; hats off to Pat and
> Joonas for pushing it. I stick around because there is useful
> stuff to learn here, but the ignorance and insensitivity around
> gender are simply stunning, and the adolescent defensiveness
> around being called out on it is breathtaking. It makes me
> realise how fortunate I am to have worked mainly with
> exceptionally enlightened people for several years now; I
> sometimes forget how damaged and backwards even some of my best
> brothers can be. It's really disheartening.
>
> Let the flames begin.

Actually, there will be no flames.

Part of the problem is that Pat Costello has made accusations
about sexism on the list that are baseless.

She accused Joaquin B. of sexism because he described a female CNN
anchor as fat. If she took the trouble to read Joaquin's post
carefully, she would have realized that he was making a point
about the difference between Fox and CNN. On Fox, they hire
anchors strictly on the basis of how good they look. On CNN, they
hired a woman who was not conventionally good-looking but who was
a good reporter. This gets amalgamated with favoring the rape of
13 year old girls.

Now in terms of the complaints of a lack of good material on
gender. From the very first time I discovered internet mailing
lists, I have heard subscribers raising a stink about the lack of
posts about a topic that is important to them. Guess what. Making
such a point NEVER leads to people stepping up to the plate and
writing about the ignored topic. It does not work that way. I am
not an editor nor am I running an organization where I can assign
somebody to write about a topic. If the question matters to you,
go ahead and write about it. Just don't blast others for not doing it.

About 14 years ago I was shocked by the level of ignorance and
racism about American Indians on the Internet. Despite the fact
that I am not an Indian myself, I took up the challenge to educate
people about the true history of the Blackfoot, the Cherokee and
other native peoples. This meant going to the library and reading
thousands of pages.

Now I am not going to take this trouble to make the same effort on
behalf of woman's liberation, especially with my fucked-up eyes. I
invite others to do so if they feel that the list lacks proper
attention to this fight. Speaking of which, I have heard Pat
Costello complaining about this for over 5 years now and have yet
to see her write anything of substance. When is the last time she
wrote about abortion rights, for example? Or equal pay for equal
work? I think she is much more interested in calling people
sexists, even when she doesn't have her facts right.