[Marxism] Remembering Patrice Lumumba

Tom Cod tomcod3 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 13:38:34 MDT 2010

Right, and wasn't there an article in Vanity Fair recently by this former
CIA guy admitting his involvement in Lumumba's assassination to the point of
actually driving around with his corpse looking for a place to dispose of
it?

I remember running into this guy at Manpower or some other casual labor
outfit on Maui in 1988 when I ran short on cash.  An attractive middle-aged
blonde guy right out of The Beach Boys, but with a military helmeted death's
head tattoo on his bicep.  When I queried him along the lines of "Uh,
Vietnam?" he responded in a slightly foreign accented voice that he had been
a Belgian mercenary in the Congo, having joined up at the age of 18 in 1961.
 He said they got paid what then was the fantastic amount of $1500 a month.
 Somewhat of a racist dude who mumbled some crap about the Congolese "not
being ready for democracy" or independence etc.