[Marxism] Another Swans year-end summary

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Dec 14 17:02:29 MST 2010

(Click the link below for a month-by-month graphic of how things went
down in 2010.)

The stage of the New Year was set in January 2010 when the Supreme Court
silenced We the People's voices by granting free speech rights to the
political purchasing power of corporations in a case brought forth by
(though not made up of) Citizens United. From then on, change we once
believed in morphed into more of the same, and worse. Health care reform
was negotiated and whittled away into "reforms" that are still years
away from being realized -- if they survive the myriad lawsuits and the
Republican takeover of the House of Representatives -- and universal
health care (forget a single-payer system) saw not the light of day in
the shadow of the towering insurance companies poised to enlarge their
already obscene profits under a mandatory insurance requirement. On the
home front, first-quarter statistics revealed a 35% increase in
foreclosures from Q1 2009 -- only later in the year would banks'
robo-signing practices designed to speed up the pace be disclosed.

full: http://www.swans.com/library/art16/jeb223.html