[Marxism] Spurned liver

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Dec 7 19:47:56 MST 2010

On 12/7/10 9:25 PM, Peggy Dobbins wrote:
> Do you really mean this?
>

> Louis wrote:
> We are trying to create a radical alternative to both the
> Democrats and the Republicans without worrying whether Palin will be
> elected because of our actions.

Of course. This is not the Gus Hall or Irving Howe mailing list. It is
the Marxism mailing list.

Karl Marx:

Even where there is no prospect of achieving their election the workers
must put up their own candidates to preserve their independence, to
gauge their own strength and to bring their revolutionary position and
party standpoint to public attention. They must not be led astray by the
empty phrases of the democrats, who will maintain that the workers’
candidates will split the democratic party and offer the forces of
reaction the chance of victory. All such talk means, in the final
analysis, that the proletariat is to be swindled. The progress which the
proletarian party will make by operating independently in this way is
infinitely more important than the disadvantages resulting from the
presence of a few reactionaries in the representative body. If the
forces of democracy take decisive, terroristic action against the
reaction from the very beginning, the reactionary influence in the
election will already have been destroyed.

full:
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1847/communist-league/1850-ad1.htm