[Marxism] (no subject) value, social revolution and revolution at the front

waistline2 at aol.com waistline2 at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 07:34:23 MST 2009

You're argument as I understand it in earlier posts is that capitalism  was
created by the application of steam power to production, thus  ordaining
the
extinction of craft, artisan, guild production; "putting  out" work to
rural/urban households; and all "naturally powered"  manufacture. My
response is that the capitalist social relation of  production was
established, well established, prior to the introduction  of steam power,
and
that only because the social relation was  pre-existing could steam power
find its application to production in  that it accelerated the
appropriation
of surplus value in the commodity  process.

Capitalism is a specific kind of “ism.” Capitalism is not machinery. The
steam engine is a machine. manifesting a technology. The steam engine and
related technology created the industrial revolution. You read this as “steam
 power creates capitalism.”

Social revolution comes about, is caused by revolution in the material
power of production.
You read this as “Political revolt and political insurrection is determined
 and tied to technology.”

One environment is always the environment of something else. The industrial
 system is in crisis. What is the industrial system? The one created by the
steam  engine. This is simple. The industrial system is not the meaning of
capital. The  industrial system is a specific organizations of machinery +
labor + motive  force, founded on electro-mechanical motion. You write from
the standpoint that  bourgeois property - not just the concept “capital,”
created the  industrial system. I do not.

What creates the industrial system is technology that reconfigures the
material power.

You object. “one must understand the dialectic of property and the class
struggle.”

Ok.

WL.