[Marxism] Russia, Cuba agree to renew joint nuclear research

nada dwaltersMIA at gmail.com
Fri May 29 11:00:25 MDT 2009

I was very heartened to see this occur between Russia and Cuba.

I'd be interested, from the Cuban POV, what their specific motivation is
for this, outside of generalized knowledge of nuclear physics and
engineering, which is sort of intrinsically worthwhile...

Speculating (which we do here on this list often enough) I would
summarize the following.

Cuba has been developing it's offshore oil resources for some time and
along with potential reserves, oil has also been flowing. I believe
enough to slightly reduce the subsidized oil it gets from Venezuela.
Oil, if you've been following Cuba's energy development, provides most
of this nation's electrical generation. And it's fuel for transportation.

Cuba's energy grid, always under attack by hurricanes, and, anemic from
a generation POV, needs a huge increase in capacity. Blackouts, I
understand, as still regular there. Black outs cause huge expenses. Your
electrical equipment needs either real good backup for things like
computers and medical equipment, or extremely rugged and expensive
appliances to allow for power surges.

Burning oil is, in the era of "peak oil", for electrical generation (or
driving cars) is hugely expensive. Cuba probably is looking at the
U.A.Es, Iran, and other middle eastern countries who are energy rich but
don't want to use this form of energy for their own electrical
generation but would rather export it. Doing so involves building
nuclear power plants, which both countries, and many others, are
starting to do.

I suspect Cuba *might* be interested in restarting the building of a
nuclear plant or plants because they are very reliable, costs, wastes
and other issues notwithstanding. This way they can devote more of the
oil they are drilling for offshore to export and vehicular transportation.

David