[Marxism] The DPRK (north Korea) ends truce with ROK (south) over southern threats to shipping

John johnedmundson at paradise.net.nz
Thu May 28 16:05:50 MDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 11:43 -0700, Adam Richmond wrote:
> Cuba, on the other hand, 90 miles from the shores of the
>  armed-to-the-teeth United States, has no need of nuclear weapons.
>  What's the difference?  Despite its hardships, the Cuban people will
>  likely defend their country from US aggression.  Can the same be said
>  of the residents of the DPRK?

Of course in the Missile crisis Cuba was expecting to have a nuclear
umbrella. There is one significant difference though. In the event of an
invasion of Cuba, the invading forces would be US soldiers. In the case
of the DPRK, they would be primarily Korean. So the cost to the US would
be much greater in the case of an invasion of the DPRK. I'm sure the
North Korean leadership are well aware of that fact.
Cheers,
John