[Marxism] The DPRK (north Korea) ends truce with ROK (south) over southern threats to shipping

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 28 12:54:15 MDT 2009

Adam Richmond wrote:
> Cuba, on the other hand, 90 miles from the shores of the armed-to-the-teeth United States, has no need of nuclear weapons.  What's the difference?  Despite its hardships, the Cuban people will likely defend their country from US aggression.  Can the same be said of the residents of the DPRK?

I will be posting a long article about North Korean movies that I have
been seeing as a guest of the Korea Society in NY. It will give me a
chance to ruminate on this country, a victim of its own self-imposed
isolation. I am actually toying with the idea of contacting their
consulate to give them some ideas on PR. If they simply made their
subtitled movies available on the web, it would do a lot to allow people
to get past the stereotypes.

Last Thursday I saw "Womri Island", a war movie based on a historical
event, the North Korean battle against a vastly superior American naval
force that allowed an orderly retreat by the army in 1950. It is, in
effect, their Bay of Pigs. The movie is filled with embarrassing homages
to their Dear General, but speaking as somebody who has spent some time
in Turkey I can tell you that this kind of worship of a founding father
is not unusual in such newly decolonized societies.

More to come...