[Marxism] Ward Churchill Redux

Ian Pace ian at ianpace.com
Thu May 7 16:10:20 MDT 2009

From: "Mark Lause" <markalause at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:21 AM

> I think our friend Waistline2 at aol.com misunderstood Ian's point, which
> was not against writing for a broader audience, but being particularly
> meticulous about not cutting corners.

Just to clarify - that is absolutely correct. Of course not all writing
should be of the type required for scholarly peer-reviewed journals, replete
with massive amounts of footnotes, bibliographies, etc.; it is possible to
condense such work and present it in a clear manner for a wider audience*.
The type of populist writing I object to consists of unfounded assertions
which seek to appeal on a more basic level, by resonating with popular
prejudice, creating mystiques, and so on.

*Alas the opposite frequently applies in a good deal cultural history and
theory, in my experience, in which relatively straightforward arguments are
drowned in a wash of jargon by writers eager to demonstrate their ability to
bandy around the right fashionable buzzwords. There is some Marxist writing
like this, but not so much. For this type of mystification, I don't believe
a lot of the French post-structuralist and post-modernist tradition can be
entirely absolved of blame.

Solidarity,
Ian