[Marxism] A communist and a gentleman

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue May 5 10:10:36 MDT 2009

farmelantj at juno.com wrote:
> That's how Wikipedia describes him.
> See:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Wheen

I have Wheen's biography of Marx but have not gotten around to reading
it. I suppose that I am procrastinating in light of the following
excerpt from the wiki:

Francis Wheen is a signatory to the Euston Manifesto and a close friend
of Christopher Hitchens. In late-2005 Wheen was co-author, with
journalist David Aaronovitch and blogger Oliver Kamm, of a complaint to
The Guardian after it published a correction and apology for an
interview with Noam Chomsky by Emma Brockes. Chomsky complained that the
article suggested he denied the Srebrenica massacre of 1995.[2] The
writer Diana Johnstone also complained about references to her in the
interview.[3] The Guardian's then readers' editor Ian Mayes found that
this had misrepresented Chomsky's position, and his judgement was upheld
in May 2006 by an external ombudsman, John Willis.[4] In his report for
the Guardian, Willis detailed his reasons for rejecting the argument.