[Marxism] Castro criticizes US President on Guantanamo, Israel support

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Fri Jan 30 09:23:51 MST 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:04:18 +0100 (MEZ), Lüko Willms wrote:

> > <<http://www.cuba.cu/gobierno/reflexiones/reflexiones.html>>
> under URL
> > <http://www.cuba.cu/gobierno/reflexiones/2009/esp/f290109e.html>
>
>   Short enough to be quoted in full in its original Spanish.

> DESCIFRANDO EL PENSAMIENTO
> DEL NUEVO PRESIDENTE DE ESTADOS UNIDOS

  now translations to english and other languages are available.
Here is the translation to English:

-------- full text -----------
Reflections by Comrade Fidel

DECIPHERING THE THOUGHTS OF THE NEW PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED
STATES.

It is not too difficult. After taking office, Barack Obama said that the decision
to return the territory occupied by the Guantánamo Naval Base to its
legitimate owner requires weighing up the extent to which the defensive
capacity of the United States would be or not in the least affected.

Soon after that he added, with regards to the return of the territory occupied
by the Base to Cuba, that he would first consider under which concessions
Cuba would accept that solution, which would be tantamount to demanding a
change in its political system, a price against which Cuba has been struggling
for half a century.

To keep a military base in Cuba against the will of our people is a violation
of the most elemental principles of international law.  The US President has
the faculty of abiding by that rule without exacting any condition whatsoever.
Non compliance with it would be an act of arrogance and an abuse of his
immense power against a small country.

For a better understanding of the abusive character of the power of the
empire, please consider the statements published by the US Government's
official website on January 22, 2009, after Barack Obama took up his post.
Biden and Obama have decided to resolutely support the relationship between
the United States and Israel, and believe that the irrefutable commitment in
the Middle East should be the security of Israel, the main US ally in the
region.

The United States will never distance itself from Israel, and its president and
vice president "firmly believe in the right of Israel to protect its citizens", as
was stated in the declaration of principles which takes up again in those
aspects the policy followed by the government of George W. Bush, Obama's
predecessor.

This is the way in which our friend Obama shares the genocide against
Palestinians.  Similar sweeteners have been offered to Russia, China, Europe,
Latin America and the rest of the world, after the United States turned Israel
into a major nuclear power which absorbs every year a significant share of
the empire's  booming military industry exports, with which they threaten, with
extreme violence, the population of all Muslim countries.

Similar examples abound; there is no need to become a fortune teller.  For
further illustration, please read the statements made by the new Chief of the
Pentagon, an expert in war affairs.

Fidel Castro Ruz
January 29, 2009
6:17 p.m.