[Marxism] Couple of Things

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 29 16:13:55 MST 2009

Thanks Greg, but really, I was looking for some information regarding Obama
attempting to "rip" Lula away from Mercosur as Nestor had claimed. Sorry I
didn't make that crystal clear.

 I was aware of the reports that Obama had contacted Lula, but I can't find
anything about actual terms of trade discussions that might "rip" Brazil out
of Mercosur.

Not that that much ripping need take place anyway.  Between 2000 and 2007,
the share of Brazil's [and Argentina's] exports going to Mercosur as
compared to total exports actually declined, while the US remains the number
one trade partner for Brazil, in both imports and exports.  Exports/imports
to the EU have grown considerably in the past 4 years,  but then, the EU is
27 countries, not 1-- although this certainly does help explain Lula's
rather ambiguous role [and I'm being charitable] in the last failed round of
Doha talks.

Yes, Nestor, I can read Spanish so if you would like to forward a link or an
article about this, it would be most appreciated.