[Marxism] Obama on Palestine

David McDonald dbmcdonald at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 23:49:16 MST 2009

Eli:

And then there's the "tell" in the interview: "And I will continue to
believe that Israel's security is paramount."

"Paramount": chief in importance or impact

David:

It is interesting to me that Eli chooses to quote the above sentence
from Obama's interview with Al Arabiya. I think Eli needs to ask himself
why he missed the REAL TELL in Obama's remarks:

"THE PRESIDENT: I think it is possible for us to see a Palestinian state
-- I'm not going to put a time frame on it -- that is contiguous, that
allows freedom of movement for its people, that allows for trade with
other countries, that allows the creation of businesses and commerce so
that people have a better life."

In this short paragraph Obama essentially summarizes the main demands of
the Palestinians, for a non-apartheid state with contiguous borders, for
control over their imports and exports, and control over their own
economic life. This is HUGE.

And let us not forget that there is nothing wrong with Obama's stating
the paramountcy of Israel's security. Real security for Israel, the only
real security that Israel will ever have, will come from having decent
relations with its neighbor states, first and foremost the Palestinians.
I take this statement to be pretty much a boilerplate clause, and the
clause about a contiguous state for the Palestinians to be a dagger
aimed at the heart of Israel's conquest of the West Bank.

If Eli will just show me where any former sitting president of the
United States ever made such assertions about Palestine I will be
pleased to tender him an apology.