[Marxism] an end to the US blank check to Israel?

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 20:49:26 MST 2009

Lou wrote (in issue #85) -

Last night I rubbed my eyes in amazement at the segment on the
Palestinians that appeared on CBS television's most prestigious news
shows. Before I had a chance to track down a video clip this morning, I
discovered that Lenin's Tomb had a link to it already.

Without  exaggeration, this report could have been written by Amy
Goodman. The  Israelis are represented as warlike, expansionist goons
implementing what  the reporter called an "apartheid" state.

I am not sure what this means  politically but have a suspicion that it
represents some kind of turn in  elite opinion in the U.S. Anybody who
watched it, unless they are committed  Zionists, will feel nothing but
disgust for Israel.

I was thinking the same thing when I watched it. Only a few years ago,
the phrase "occupied territories" in relation to Gaza, the West Bank and
East Jerusalem was strictly verboten in the corporate media. Walt
and Mearshimer's book, then Jimmy Carter's was an indication that  a
more far sighted section of the US ruling class has finally realized that
the blank check of support to Israel is a dead end. Now, in the wake  of
widespread death and destruction in Gaza, worldwide condemnation of
Israel, with Hamas more popular and Fatah more discredited than ever,
comes this CBS broadcast.

For four decades, the media has presented the US public with a completely
one-sided view of Israel and the Palestinians. It won't be too easy to do a
180.
How many gutless politicians (a redundancy!) would dare to risk their
careers
on a policy shift?

But is it too late - have the Israelis and their US supporters created a
Frankenstein monster in the form of the racist and religious settler
movement? There are about a quarter of a million of them in the West  Bank.
A section of them would accept a buyout offer along the absurdly  extravagant
terms given to the Gaza settlers. But many of them - nut jobs predominantly
from New York and New Jersey Jewish madrassas - insist that god gave  them
the land and will fight to keep it. And as the interview noted, many
soldiers are
pro-settler and might disobey government orders to move the intruders  out.
Would this reach the point of civil war among Israeli Jews? Because this
would
be a godsend to the Palestinians, wouldn't Israel shrink from this, even if
it
meant defying Washington?

It has been postulated for years that Israel, if ever cornered or even
abandoned
by the US, would respond in the manner of an ancient suicide  terrorist named
Samson - it would take the entire region down with it. This is why  they have
placed such a high premium on amassing a nuclear  arsenal.

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)