[Marxism] Supporting Obama should not lead to expulsion

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 25 07:01:50 MST 2009

Greg Dunkel wrote:

> What Walter was doing is defending this feeling of oppressed people in the U.S. by bringing up changes Obama had made which, in his opinion, were designed to improve their situation.

But we are internationalists. Since its inception, the Marxism list has
become more and more representative globally--including subscribers from
Pakistan. It is most unseemly to be posting puff pieces for Obama when
Pakistanis are being slaughtered.

www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-pakistan-airstrikesjan25,0,364965.story

Pakistan and Afghanistan claim U.S. strikes killed civilians
Tribune news services
January 25, 2009

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Pakistan urged President Barack Obama to halt U.S.
missile strikes on Al Qaeda strongholds near the Afghan border, saying
Saturday that civilians were killed the previous day in the first
attacks since Obama's inauguration.

Pakistani security officials said eight suspected foreign militants,
including an Egyptian Al Qaeda operative, were among 22 people killed in
Friday's twin strikes in the Waziristan region.

But the Foreign Ministry said the attacks by unmanned aircraft also
killed an unspecified number of civilians and it had informed U.S.
officials of its "great concern."

And in Afghanistan on Saturday, a fierce new dispute erupted over
civilian deaths in that country, with village elders asserting that as
many as 22 non-combatants were killed in an American-led raid and U.S.
military officials insisting all 15 dead, including a woman, were
Taliban fighters.

The U.S. military said it would carry out a joint investigation with
Afghan authorities beginning Sunday.

Civilian casualties are one of the most serious points of friction
between Western forces and the increasingly unpopular government of
President Hamid Karzai.

The Afghan leader repeatedly has accused coalition troops of failing to
adequately safeguard civilians during combat operations, while
commanders accuse the Taliban of deliberately putting innocents in
harm's way.

In Pakistan, leaders complain that stepped-up missile strikes — there
have been more than 30 since August — fan anti-American sentiment and
undermine the government's own efforts to counter Islamist militants.

But their protests have had few practical consequences, fueling
speculation that Islamabad's government has given tacit approval in
return for political and financial support from Washington.

Obama has not commented on the missile strike policy.