[Marxism] VIDEO: Seeger and Springsteen sing original Woody Guthrie at Obama concert

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 09:22:35 MST 2009

Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> Dennis Kucinich? Keith Olbermann? Well, it would be very surprising that
> they would be saying anything different. But that is their social
> function, to give Americans the illusion that putting Bush and Cheney on
> trial for war crimes can actually take place. One is in government; the
> other is in the media. Their counterpart in the world of 3 card Monte is
> called the shill.

Maybe.

But there's no real point to this scenario after Obama's election and
inauguration.  Raising this issue and arguing for prosecution simply
doesn't help an administration that won't hold the Bush criminals
accountable.

I suspect that far more important than what anyone at home is saying
on this are pressures from abroad and from UN officials who actually
want official sanctions on war crimes and torture to mean something in
the wider world.  What the US has done on this under Bush has hardly
made it easier for any global standard of human rights to mean much of
anything.  I think any administration would prefer a trial with
clearly restrictive consequences and public relations control over an
international incident over some minor ex-official,

ML