[Marxism] Ecuador jumps onboard the "posturing" bandwagon over Gaza

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 17 05:39:23 MST 2009

Fred,

Good to hear from you again.  Hope the New Year finds you healthy and busy.
Thanks for those 2 additional pieces of information.  I will certainly give
them careful consideration to see if I have been too hasty and too harsh in
my characterization of anti-imperialist governments and their actions
against Israel.

Of course, I will need to reconcile Morales' statements, actions, and his
intent to take Israel to the Hague against the support for the occupation of
Haiti.  I think you will agree that doing so is the only way to arrive at a
full, balanced, and, of course, dialectical assessment of the situation.

My view, I must admit, is colored by the fact that I don't think a dialectic
is "on the one hand, while on the other,"  is not  "yin and yang," is not
"taking the good with the bad," so I don't exactly weigh bad things like
military support for the occupation of Haiti where the occupying force,
according to a UN internal investigation, has been involved in trading food
for sex with children  AGAINST the good things like denouncing the Israeli
murderous assault.  I'm not sure about how others construe their dialectics,
but that's how it is for me.

Likewise, I'm not generally sympathetic to a dialectic that values the
statements of Correa against Israel over/against/mindless of the actions
against the indigenous people who are  in opposition to various laws
regarding the exploitation of natural resources.  Maybe it's just me, maybe
not.  In either case I promise to carefully study this information.

I was wondering-- since Ecuador and Bolivia's trade with Israel is so small,
amounting in 2008 to maybe $6-7 million in exports, and $40 million in
imports, if perhaps you know of any attempt by Ecuador and/or Bolivia to
persuade Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, who have considerably larger trade
volumes with Israel, to impose some sort of sanctions?-- perhaps Mercosur as
a whole, or the Andean economic alliance, or the Bolivarian Alternative has
considered such a course?  I would be very interested in any information you
have on this--

Anyway, that's my dialectic in a nutshell, as wacked out as it may be.  And
I appreciate the information you have provided in these matters.

best to you and yours.
___________

Note to Gary.  Now, now Gary, not incorrect.  You wrote:  "Wallerstien says
that domestically he [Obama] will do some social democratic things and we
must welcome that. I agree but to look into the face of the victims of US
imperialism is something else."

I asked you then why we would welcome those things when [or if] those things
are most intimately connected with a loathesome foreign policy?  Did we in
the US welcome Johnson's war on poverty "despite" the war in Vietnam?  Those
that did were of course just following the line of the "enlightened"  social
democrats of that era.  Those who thought those 2 wars were not intimately
connected, could be teased apart were incapable of providing any real
opposition to the "bad" war while supporting the "good" war.

Oh, and you can certainly speak for yourself about your preference for
living in a social democracy, but not for me. I would prefer living in
Paris, and not because of the social democracy.  Sarkozy or Royal,
samey-same as we used to say back in the day.  My preference is based on the
food, the wine, and the art.