[Marxism] From the desk of Reuven Kaminer January 14, 2009

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Jan 14 10:11:42 MST 2009

> From the desk of Reuven Kaminer January 14, 2009
>
> I have the pleasure of hosting this insightful article
> “The Gaza war”
> Shmuel Amir
>
> Upon the launching of the attack on Gaza, Ehud Barak struck the pose
> of
> Julius Caesar, who announced with his crossing of the Rubicon that
> “the
> die is cast”, and declared “combat has begun”...

Insightful the article no doubt is, but false is its beginning.
Caesar did not say a Latin equivalent of "the die is cast" ("die
jactae sunt" is *plural*) but quoted a famous line of Menander (in
Greek, of course), "Let The Dice Fly." Worse, the phrase "combat has
begun" is a stupid invention.  It could not have been spoken by
Caesar, for the simple reason that combat did not begin when his
troops crossed the line demarcating Cisalpine Gaul.  Quite the
contrary--when Caesar responded to the violation of law and
constitution by the reactionary oligarchy (the self-styled "Boni" or
"Optimates") by entering Italy proper with his bodyguard to present
his candidacy for election to the Consulate, the mere fact of his
presence set off a popular revolutionary enthusiasm throughout Italy
so great that the Optimate party and its army (that of Pompeius
Magnus, or, as Marx called him, Pimpey the Great) fled in such panic
that they were not even able to take the State Treasury from Rome with
them, leaving it intact for Caesar to appropriate as the masses
welcomed him into Rome.  Combat (the "bellum civile") only began once
the Optimates had fled across the Adriatic and moved the legions they
still controlled from the Eastern Provinces into Illyria, where they
were defeated by Caesar at Pharsalus (though combat was to continue
briefly in the Near East, where Caesar was to utter the famous "veni.
vidi, vici,"  and then for another year in Africa until the loathsome
Cato--he of the famous Institute-- committed suicide in Utica rather
than accept the unconditional amnesty that Caesar had given to all his
opponents).

Shane Mage