[Marxism] New Deal

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 24 14:01:13 MST 2008

Well, OK, I don't know that Mark says we should embrace the New Deal.  But
Abu does and that's more than a mistake, that's a capitulation to the myth
of the market/state dichotomy; "progressive" state intervention, etc.

First, going back to the numbers.. regarding 10% GDP annual rates of
growth-- to abbreviate BFD (for those who are not familiar with the US
vernacular-- big  f---ing deal).

In 1929 GDP (in constant dollars measured) 87.2 billion, a figure that was
just barely exceed in 1936-- so all that growth only got back to zero,
without however, coincident improvements in living standards, etc.  In 1937
NOT a recession year, GDP measured 91.9  billion, only to fall back in the
recession year 1938 to 88.7 billion {figurese from the US Bureau of Economic
Administration}. So from 1929 to 1938-- zero growth.  That's some recover
program.  That's some recovery.

More significant however are the numbers for non-residential fixed assets-
which were valued at 9.8 billion dollars in 1929 and did NOT exceed that
amount until AFTER the start of  WW2.

Rather than regarding the New Deal as some sort of break, or breakthrough,
with "market capitalism," we should situate it in its context-- the context
of fascism in Italy and Germany, corporatism in Spain, and yes, Vargas' "new
state" in Brazil-- all share a common feature and goal...

We could link all  to the general failure of private property to maintain a
basis for the social reproduction of capital; we could say all project state
intervention in various to project the program of capitalist refoundation
while maintaining opposition, and suppression of, independent workers'
actions.  We can say that all are designed to absorb, and transfer, the
expenses of "development," i.e infrastructure, necessary for supporting
market penetration for capital, from the bourgeoisie, and to V, wage labor;
we can say, in sume, that all are intent on doing for capitalism what the
bourgeoisie, so constrained, blinded, shackled by privagte property could no
longer do for capitalism or themselves.  And we can say that all, or almost
all, found that there efforts were successful to exactly the degree that
they found the ultimate method of restoring the proper relation between the
components of capital and wage-labor-- that being war.

Rather than embrace the New Deal, Marxists need to expose its failure and
its success-- a success paid for in blood in WW2.  Abstracting the New Deal
from what came before and what comes after is hardly that exposure.