[Marxism] LA TIMES bash-o-rama: 'Milk' start Sean Penn: Pal of anti-gay dictators?

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 14 13:03:58 MST 2008

THE facts, both favorable and unfavorable, about gays in Cuba aren't
hard to locate. I've assembled hundreds of articles, links, translations
and photographs at a special page for precisely that purpose:
     http://www.walterlippmann.com/lgbt-cuba.html

And I wrote about these matters not yesterday, but EIGHT YEARS AGO:
http://www.blythe.org/2months4.html

Homosexuality is but one aspect of Cuban life, since perhaps 10 per cent
of the Cuban population might be assumed to be gay, but for individuals
like Thorstad, this is the most important aspect of Cuban life, since
he has nothing to say about any other aspect of Cuban life. Refusing
to acknowledge the blockade, nor to accept that Washington would indeed
try to manipulate organizations inside of Cuba for its own ends, David
Thorstad has nothing positive to say about Cuba whatsever, as his now
fully-documented record make crystal clear.

Thorstad's anti-Cuban politricks are getting more and more desperate as
he reaches back to 1971 for things to be criticized as Stalinist in Cuba.

1971 was THIRTY-SEVEN YEARS AGO. That's when Fidel Castro said various
stupid things about gays in Cuba. I've posted ALL his published comments
on that special page. At some point I'll have to put up his latest from
the book MY LIFE, where he says he was never ant-gay, while the record
is clear that he expressed very anti-gay views in the 1960s and at that
Educational congress in 1971. But all of that has changed since than
and Thorstad KNOWS it's changed because all of those changes have been
completely documented on the page where I've cited them - favorabla and
unfavorable. Today, world anti-homophobia day has been celebrated as an
official government CELEBRATION in Cuba. The president of the national
assembly, Ricardo Alarcon spoke at the event. But that doesn't mean a
thing to the likes of David Thorstad, Patrick Goldstein, THE ADVOCATE
or anyone else who will use or invent anything to attack Cuba.

Thorstad's desperation is such that he demands to know why the Cuban CP
doesn't set up a gay organization. Of course, were they do do that, he,
Thorstad, would be the first to denounce it for not being "independent".
With Thorstad, Cuba can't win for losing. Nothing it could ever do would
satisfy him. That's why he makes things up, like that fabrication about
lack of paper as why there are no independent gay magazines in Cuba.

Thorstad is just one of that small army of Cubaphobes, like Marc Cooper
and Shane Mage, for whom no argument against Cuba will prove suffient,
and if facts aren't sufficient, he'll simply invent them.

Walter Lippmann
Los Angeles, California
DAVID THORSTAD insisted:
Why doesn't the Cuban regime itself sponsor formation of an
independent gay/lez group and assign gay/lez members of the Communist
Party to participate in it? That way it would be quite easy to
maintain serious input, if not outright control, over the activities
of such a group. Leftist groups can easily form "fractions" to work
in nonparty organizations, as I wouldn't be surprised happens in the
official Cuban women's organization. It wouldn't even be necessary to
create the gay group from the top down as a front group of the
regime. Communists, being the "best builders" and most ideologically
advanced citizens should have no trouble agitating for their
(revolutionary) goals in such an organization. Not, that is, unless
all the available CP gay/lez members are perceived to be nothing more
than hacks and robot stooges of higher party bodies (also a
possibility, I suppose).

All this handwringing over the potential threat to the regime from an
independent gay organization strikes me as reflecting an ongoing
residue of the longtime hostility to homosexuality in Cuba, and
particularly the horrendous and heterosupremacist 1971 resolution of
the first National Congress on Education and Culture that--taking a
pagestraight out of Stalinism of the 1930s--condemned homosexuality
as a "social pathology" withg an "antisocial" character. To my
knowledge, the Cuban regime, while it has made important improvements
over that awful position since then, has never explicitly condemned
it or explained why it was wrong. If I am mistaken about this, I hope
Walter or someone else on the list will point me to the document
where the requisite self-criticism was made.

Maybe Cuban homosexuals don't feel they need or want their own
organization. Maybe they feel the Cuban CP speaks for them and,
unlike women, they have no special concerns of their own (not even
AIDS). But have they ever been consulted?

     "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"