[Marxism] LA TIMES bash-o-rama: 'Milk' star Sean Penn: Pal of anti-gay dictators?

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 14 07:32:52 MST 2008

DAVID THORSTAD wrote:
I have long criticized the Cuban regime for banning independent
gay/lez organizations and publications. Does Walter still explain the
lack of gay publications (as he has to me in the past) to an alleged
lack of paper? I rather suspect that, except for the Roman Catholic
Church and maybe some Santeria expressions, independent
self-organization is not tolerated by the Cuban one-party state.

As usual, David Thorstad leaps to condemn the Cuban government while
refusing to acknowledge that Cuba is a blockaded country whose main
opponent, the United States government, works actively to encourage
the fabrication through financing and political direction of groups
opposed to the Cuban government and the social system which Cuba's
government defends. Washington budgets tens of millions of dollars
for this purpose, as anyone who is interested in the facts can see
for themselves at the US government website devoted to the project:
http://www.cafc.gov That is the principal reason why some forms of
"independent self-organization are not permitted.

While I wish Cuba's political system were more open to a wider range
of discussion, so long as the country remains blockaded, this will
not be easily achieved.

Lack of paper is not the reason "independent self-organization is not
tolerated by the Cuban one-party state." No such claim has ever been
made by me. Thorstad invented that allegation.

Many forms of "independent self-organization" exist in Cuba. I could
name hundreds if I had the time, but independent political parties
and such organizations are not permitted. Everything from Alcoholics
Anonymous to Theosophy to Islam and the Bahai'i faith are all active
in Cuba today. I've been to the offices of some of these groups and
so I know what I'm speaking about. I'm sorry I haven't time to scan
the pages of the Havana phone book to document this, but I don't
have the time now. Anyone who actually goes to Cuba and looks for
the facts can find them. Thorstad isn't interested in the facts as
he is a relentless opponent of the Cuban Revolution for whom there
is nothing he cannot find to attack.

That being said, there are limits to democratic rights and expression
in Cuba, as I have explained repeatedly over the years, including on
organized self-expression among gays. As long ago as 2000, in the