[Marxism] Cynthia McKinney on a close encounter of a different kind (at Miami airport)

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Tue Dec 9 19:51:33 MST 2008

From: HQ <hq2600 at gmail.com>
To: updates at lists.allthingscynthiamckinney.com

Subject: [hq2600] From Cynthia McKinney About A Close Encounter of a
Different Kind
Date: Dec 9, 2008 6:29 PM

Hello! I am typing on a Spanish language keyboard and so, I am having to
make adjustments. Please pardon me if things are not quite right. However, I
am so excited, I hope you won´t mind me sharing with you my experiences as I
prepare to participate in an international conference in Havana, Cuba. I am
in Cuba Libre.

I was particularly struck by the content of a conversation I had at the
Miami airport with a female employee of the United States State Department
who works at the U.S. Interests Section in Cuba. I can´t tell you why she
came over to me to strike up a conversation. But she did. Here´s how it
went.

She Do you live in Cuba?
Me No, I do not.
She I work at the State Department
Me I oppose the State Department
She Why?
Me Because of the policy.
She It´s a job! I don´t like the policy either.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said, "Our lives begin to end the day we become
silent about things that matter."

My encounter with this State Department employee was, for me, a close
encounter of a different kind. Because as I ponder where we are and where we
go from here and what my role will be in leading, guiding, and walking with
you there, this chance encounter shook me and reminded me how often good
people make accommodations that go against their beliefs, against their
principles, against their values and then justify those accommodations in
ways that are palatable only to themselves (and to others who have made the
same accommodation). At that moment, I realized that I had just had a close
encounter with someone whose life epitomized exactly what Dr. King was
talking about.

How many people in our country go through their daily routine living lives
of accommodation and compromise that have, in the Kingian sense, "ended"?
And why do people who should know better choose to live like that?

History is made by those of us who refuse to make the easy accommodations.
Movements are built by those with the courage to actually live their
convictions. And here I am, in a land where people are proud that they have
convictions, where they are proud to have dignity and courage. And speak
openly and often about dignidad. What a difference a one hour flight makes!

I will send another message about the conference, but this trip has already
taken such an interesting start.

I really do believe that this last election was about people in our country
trying to have a little of that dignidad and feeling of Cuba Libre. But
given the assassination attempts and the continued occupation of Guantanamo
Bay, and the multiple acts of terror sponsored by our government to
destabilize this idyllic, yet tough minded island people, it must be clear
that dignidad is not something one can get on the cheap.

We must acquire the will to survive and understand that we are in this
struggle for the long haul. As the bubbles of U.S. imperialism continue to
burst all around us, it is increasingly clear that now is not the time to
give up, but instead is the time for us to build. I do believe that we can
inform and change the content of U.S. policy. We all must have that
confidence. Especially now. And we must also be clear that the policy we
want, that reflects our values, won´t come from Chief of Staff Emmanuel,
Secretaries Clinton and Gates, or Ambassador Rice.

I want to take this time to thank all of you whom I had the chance of
meeting and finding encouragement from for the year and a half that I was on
the road. I am taking this time to read all of the kind messages that you´ve
sent to me. I´m reviewing all the cd´s and dvd´s that you´ve given to me. I
know that you want to go to the next level. All that I´ve seen and read,
plus your votes, volunteerism, and financial contributions to the Power to
the People campaign are concrete proof of that. From this place, where the
sky is so blue and the clouds are fluffy white, I can with assurance tell
you that together, we will get there.