[Marxism] Chi. Sun-Times: "Obama defends Republic Windows and Doors workers"

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sun Dec 7 19:05:53 MST 2008

A clear sign that the pressures on Obama, and reflecting the trends that
produced his election, are not coming only from the bourgeois class he
serves. The processes that produced his election are continuing among the
working people as well. Of course, their actions have an opposed class
basis.
Fred

Obama defends Republic Windows and Doors workers
December 7, 2008

BY ABDON PALLASCH Sun-Times Political Reporter
President-elect Barack Obama put himself on the side of the workers at the
Republic Windows and Doors factory Sunday:

"When it comes to the situation here in Chicago with the workers who are
asking for their benefits and payments they have earned, I think they are
absolutely right," Obama said Sunday at a news conference announcing his new
Veterans Affairs director. "What's happening to them is reflective of what's
happening across this economy.

> Click to enlarge image President-elect Barack Obama speaks during a news
conference in which he sided with the workers at the Republic Windows and
Doors factory.
(AP)

"When you have a financial system that is shaky, credit contracts.
Businesses large and small start cutting back on their plants and equipment
and their workforces. That's why it's so important for us to maintain a
strong financial system. But it's also important for us to make sure that
the plans and programs that we design aren't just targeted at maintaining
the solvency of banks, but they are designed to get money out the doors and
to help people on Main Street. So, number one, I think that these workers,
if they have earned their benefits and their pay, then these companies need
to follow through on those commitments.

"Number two, I think it is important for us to make sure that, moving
forward, any economic plan we put in place helps businesses to meet payroll
so we are not seeing these kinds of circumstances again,'' he said. "Have we
done everything that we can to make sure credit is flowing to businesses and
to families, and to students who are trying to get loans? And to homeowners
who have been making payments on their homes but are still finding their
property values so depressed that it becomes very difficult for them to make
the mortgage payments?

"That's where the rubber hits the road and that's going to be the central
focus of my administration