[Marxism] Dr Marx in the comics

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Dec 6 16:30:44 MST 2008

Just had an interesting experience. My teenage
daughter -- who never reads books if she can help
it, but loves comic strips -- asked me what this
dude Karl Marx was all about.

I thought for a minute and then told her that he
was a guy who thought history was all about class
struggle. (Shallow, I know, but you try 25 words
or less while a teenage girl with a short attention
span looks at you skeptically).

Her response: Well, duuhh, everybody knows *that*.
Why do people think he's so crazy?

I wanted to find a comic-strip version of
Capital to give her. Apparently there isn't one
yet in English, though just last month, it seems,
a manga version appeared in Japan.

This seems shocking to me. Why on earth hasn't
somebody done a comic-strip Capital years ago? Marx
is so concrete and vivid -- he'd be as big a treat
for an illustrator as Dickens.

--

Michael Smith
mjs at smithbowen.net