[Marxism] (Fwd) Tinkering at the margins of apartheid economics

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Tue Feb 13 11:46:07 MST 2007

Congress of SA Trade Union response to President Thabo Mbeki’s State of
the Nation Speech

12 February

For three years now, COSATU has repeatedly raised its major concern that
the main beneficiaries of economic transformation in the first decade of
freedom has been big business. Meanwhile the working class and the poor,
despite progress on social security, have remain heavily affected by
massive levels of unemployment, poverty and inequality and are the main
victims of HIV and AIDS.

 From this standpoint we argued that this decade - the second decade of
freedom and democracy - should be a workers’ and the poor’s decade, in
which our country should reverse the established trend where, in
economic terms, the real benefits accrued to the tiny minority of mainly
white males who continue to dominate the economy in every respect.

Further COSATU has for the past twelve years been campaign for a new
developmental path that will move our economy away from the capital
intensive industries such as mining, metals, heavy chemicals and the
auto sector towards labour intensive sectors that will help create jobs
on a large scale, whilst meeting the basic needs of the working class.
In this regard we have repeatedly called for the introduction of an
active industrial strategy that will be underpinned by an active state
to drive this process.

We have pointed out that South Africa, like many other African countries
after liberation, faces the danger of tinkering at the margins of the
apartheid economy without setting itself to fundamentally restructure it
and move it into a new growth path. We have rejected the current
macro-economic policies and pointed out that they are too conservative
and have elements of neo liberalism and therefore not appropriate for
the economic challenges we face.

This is a good starting point from which to assess the President’s
address. Does it accept that this is a fundamental problem and what does
it propose to tackle it? From this framework we can say the President’s
speech falls short of announcing a comprehensive and coherent
development strategy that will address the inherited structural
deficiencies of the economy. As the consequence of this failure South
Africa will take a lot more time to address its unemployment, poverty,
inequalities and the social ills related to this, such as HIV and AIDS,
moral degeneration and crime.

Having stated so, COSATU however acknowledges that this President speech
was for the first time business like. The framework of industrial policy
was announced. A spirit of acknowledging the challenges we face and
failures of government and a range of intervention measurers were
announced. This heralds a new hope that we are en route to a real new
age of consensus building.

COSATU is however concerned at the unresolved contradiction between a
commitment to a state-driven developmental industrial policy and its
highly conservative, market-driven macro-economic and fiscal strategy.

Thus for example, the President’s commitment to produce capital goods
domestically is contradicted by high interest rates, overvaluation of
the rand, and cheap imports. Likewise budget surpluses are in sharp
contrast to the need for massive injection of resources into poor
communities, including through a BIG.

We need an engagement on inflation targeting, exchange rates and fiscal
policy. The current mix of policies will ultimately undermine
government’s intentions in the long run. Moreover the current growth
rate rests on very shaky ground and more needs to be done to change the
structure of growth away from volatile commodities. We call for a
serious, more structured engagement on these challenges within the
structures of the Tripartite Alliance. Having said this we wish to
comment on the following key working class priorities:

1. Unemployment and Job Creation
Unemployment, poverty and growing inequalities are by far the biggest
concerns and priorities of the working class and the poor. COSATU’s
Ninth National Congress decided “to make the jobs and poverty campaign
the centrepiece of our programme in the coming period”.

On unemployment, the President quoted the figure of 1.5 million news
jobs being created over the past three years. While any new jobs are to
be welcomed, the speech overlooked three important problems with this
figure. The first is that the jobs created are, even before we consider
other matters, not enough to help us achieve the country’s modest target
to halve unemployment by 2015. Job creation has on average been
increasing by 1%.

With population growing at about 2.8%, the country need to create far a
greater number of jobs than we have managed this far. Of serious concern
to COSATU is the fact the growth of job seekers whilst we seemingly make
snail’s pace progress in cutting unemployment. Secondly, and
regrettably, most of the jobs created are low-quality jobs - casual and
unsustainable forms of employment, concentrated in some of the most
vulnerable sectors of the economy – wholesale and retail, construction
and agriculture. This means we are not addressing the challenge of
poverty eradication and income inequalities that are so rife in South
Africa. Thirdly unemployment affects our people differently. It
discriminates more against young people, women and black people in
general, in particular Africans. Government statistics show that of all
unemployed people 80% are aged between 15 and 34 years. Using the narrow
definition of the unemployed that cuts out those too discouraged to
search for employment, females make just under 30% compared to 21% of
the males unemployed.

The overwhelming majority of the unemployed remain the blacks in general
and Africans in particular. The political implication of this to our
revolution is huge. It is in this context that we asked a serious
question last year “has democracy failed workers and the poor?”The
commitment to ‘ratchet upwards’ the Expanded Public Works Programme is
welcome, but the key to resolving this massive crisis of unemployment is
a new industrial strategy, which the government has been developing for
four years. We welcome the President’s assurance that this is now
shortly to be finalised but there is not yet enough information to
indicate whether this will lead to more job-creating economic growth.We
note with concern the vague reference to reducing the costs of doing
business, and need to know what this will involve, but welcome the fact
that this year there was no mention of ‘reforming’ the labour laws, to
deal with alleged ‘inflexibility’. We hope that this issue has been laid
to rest and that we can focus on how to implement these laws more
effectively.

We are however totally opposed to the whole idea of a partial ‘wage
subsidy for low-wage employees’, which will reward employers who
underpay their workers and encourage them to get rid of these young
workers as soon as the subsidy expires, or be used to displace older
workers whilst doing very little to create quality jobs that will help
the country eradicate poverty. If the government wants to implement an
across the board wage subsidy, as opposed to this proposal, they would
need to engage on the details of such an idea. COSATU welcomes the fact
that fluctuating exchange rates are recognised as an impediment to
growth, as we have been arguing for years, and we hope that this will
lead to an end to the unjustifiable increases in interest rates.Overall
the economic policies outlined in the speech are too vague and limited.
They will leave the existing, skewed distribution of wealth intact and
will not lead to the second decade of democracy belonging to the workers
and the poor.

2. Eradication of Poverty
On poverty, we note the many references to a more comprehensive social
security system and in particular the idea of ‘a social security tax to
finance basic retirement savings, death, disability and unemployment
benefits’. We have in principle supported the introduction of retirement
savings but we believe that the devil is going to be in the detail. 40%
of all workers in the formal sector shamefully earn less than R2500 a
month. Tax and administrative costs must not combine to mean that
workers’ take home pay in the context of this extra ordinary levels of
low wages, tax and other administrative costs associated with the
retirement funds must not combine to push workers deeper to the poverty
line.

We hope that government does not see this as a back door to side step
its constitutional responsibility to provide pensions to the aged. We
call for negotiations to avoid unilateralism that will have the effect
of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. We regret that the
government is still failing to clearly respond to the demand for a Basic
Income Grant, which remains the best short-term measure to relieve
poverty and promote the economies of poorer communities.

COSATU will continue to campaign for the introduction of the Basic
Income Grant and hope that the ANC, which in its congress called for an
open debate on this, will finally honour its mandate and engage its
alliance partners on this important question. COSATU is pleased at the
pledge to increase the number and pay of nurses, teachers and police but
we shall be checking that the budget speech on 21 February actually
makes adequate provision for this. Our affiliates will also be
monitoring very carefully to check that this actually happens. COSATU
welcomes the ideological shift in government approach to the role of the
public service. In particular we welcome the appreciation of the need to
increase the public service in critical areas of service delivery and to
ensure that public servants are adequately remunerated.

3. Restructuring of the Public Service
On restructuring the public service, we insist that this must not be
imposed unilaterally but must be negotiated with the public sector trade
unions. We welcome the ideological shift over the past three years. We
are clearly moving away from the ideological dogma of cutting public
sector workers’ numbers to satisfy text book formulae, to the
recognition of the critical role the public sector plays in the economic
development. We call for the referral of the current Public Service
amendment Bill to Nedlac.

4. On HIV and AIDS
On HIV/AIDS, we note and welcome the President’s commitment ‘to
intensify the campaign against HIV and AIDS’ but feel that this is still
not given the priority it deserves. It is a huge national crisis, but
was not included in the President’s list of features of South African
life that are ‘ugly and repulsive’ and is given far less space in the
speech than crime. Workers list HIV and AIDS second only to employment
creation as a priority for the country. In the context of a situation
where it is estimated that between 800 to 1000 people die of AIDS
everyday in South Africa, we would have expected the President to give
more space to this challenge than he did to the problem of crime. We
welcome the unity that was achieved last year on this important front.
We are working with the government to ensure that SANAC is restructured
and made more representative and to ensure that a new strategy is
released by March, etc.

This is indeed a very welcome change to previous years. We hope no one
will undermine this progress. The commitments made last year between
government and civil society require a consistent and coherent message
on dealing with the pandemic and we feel that the President should have
been even bolder in addressing this pandemic.

5. On land and agrarian reform
The snail’s pace of land redistribution is undoubtedly one of the
sources of tension in rural areas. While COSATU welcomes the President’s
pledge to speed up land redistribution we still insist that far more
radical steps must be taken if we are to meet the targets. There is no
coherent agrarian reform in South African. Poverty afflicts rural
communities more forcing migration to cities and compounding the housing
problem of the country. Generally we share the President’s concern at
the lack of capacity in all spheres of government. We are simply tired
of hearing over and over again the problem of rollovers. This further
delays genuine freedom to millions of our people.

We urge the President to use more his prerogative to employ and fire
Minister to ensure that he in the most unfactionalist fashion deal with
non performers from Cabinet level down to wherever he has an influence
as the head of state. In reality there are non-performing Ministers who
are not being dealt with.

6 . Crime and restructuring of the judiciary
COSATU supports the President fully when he states that ‘the
overwhelming majority of violent crimes against the person occur in the
most socio-economically deprived areas of our country’. COSATU fully
supports the measures to deal with this serious social problem. We
however wish to make very clear that our priority number one is the
extraordinarily high levels of unemployment and poverty, followed by the
HIV and AIDS epidemic. The only way to root out crime is when the
country addresses those two principal tasks.

We welcome the President’s statements on the security guards’ strike and
the commitment to ensure more regulation of the industry as part of a
coherent strategy to fight high levels of crime. We are disappointed
that the President did not endorse the remarks of his Minister of
Agriculture and Land Affairs, Lulu Xingwana, about the "inhumane
treatment and abuse of farm workers”. As far as we are concerned this is
a ticking bomb. The estimated 1 million farm workers will one day rise
up against their daily abuse by the majority of the racist white
farmers. When this happens COSATU shall stand firmly on the side of
those whose abuse is not prioritised enough by the society. In the light
of recent outrageously lenient sentences imposed on, for example the
farmer who shot a child he claimed to mistook for a dog, COSATU
reiterates its demand for the total transformation of the judiciary. We
urge government to be bolder in its assertion and determination to
achieve the transformation of the judiciary. Whilst crime is of course a
major concern, the government is right to oppose the hysterical
exaggeration of crime by right-wing politicians and the media, and to
emphasise the fight to eradicate the underlying causes of crime.

7. Public Transport
COSATU felt that the section of the address on public transport failed
to begin to grasp the depth of the problem. Taxi capitalisation, the
Gautrain and one or two other rail ‘corridors’ will do nothing to
alleviate the daily misery, and high cost endured by commuters every day.