[Marxism] Self-determination and nations

Jscotlive at aol.com Jscotlive at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 16:53:48 MDT 2006

aymery at ix.netcom.com writes:

But that  was not the object of my post. I was questioning the extent to
which the  right of self determination should be viewed as some sort of
sacred deed.  I was also questioning the issue of nationalism. How does
one reconcile  the right of self-determination and nationalism?
(especially if you are an  internationalist...) And I was agreeing with
Nestor that small states  cannot free themselves from the big predators
(aka, imperialists, in  Nestor's word).

Reply:

Lenin once wrote on the National Question apropos of this precise  issue that
the objective should be 'disunity for unity'.

Self determination can either be progressive or regressive depending on the
class relations involved in the forces leading the struggle for same. In  the
case of say the United Kingdom a debate has been ongoing about the case for
Scottish independence. I am for it, but not on a nationalist basis, on an
internationalist basis - in order to break up an imperialist construct and
thereby weaken a major ally of US imperialism - and in order to effect a
qualitative change in the compostion of the British State and thereby deepen the
consciousness of the English working class, attached as they are to the jingoism
and nationalism which comes with citizenship in a martial  state.

Of course, the ultmate aim is no borders, and on the way to that larger
federated worker's states in which chauvinism and patriotism are consigned to
history. In the case of East Timor we see, as with the fate of the former
Yugoslavia, the catastrophe which was the collapse of the Soviet Union. The East
Timorese suffered near genocide at the hands of the Indonesian military and so
now, despite being under the control of the West, at least they are not being
systematically raped, murdered and tortured. Ultimately, a class analysis can
 only be applied to peoples that exist, that are alive. The East Timorese,
who  lost an est 200,000 during the occupation, were in danger of being sent
into the  night.

I say that our role as Marxists living in the belly of the beast is to work
to weaken that beast from the inside not only in our own interests but also in
 the interests of peoples suffering the economic and military imperialism
inflicted upon them by our respective ruling classes.

Now that to me is internationalism.

JD