[Marxism] Fwd: Religion, the proletariat, Marxism, and revolution

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Sep 28 14:49:37 MDT 2006

Carrol  Cox wrote:

>....Water does not boil at 100° by itself: it requires some
>process to raise it to that temperature....

This is almost always untrue.  Water boils at 100° only under  the
average atmospheric pressure at the sealevel prevailing when the metric
system was formulated (late 18th century).  Since most of the
planet's land surface is significantly above sealevel (which has itself
increased during the past two centuries), almost all the water ever boiled
has boiled at a temperature *below* 100°.  All scientific "laws," like
the Law of Value etc., depend on abstraction from the totality of
prevailing material reality and give precise knowledge only to the
extent that the prevailing material reality is well understood.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even
downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true."  (N.
Weiner)