[Marxism] Chavez slams Bush, praises Noam Chomsky at UN [excerpt]

Ralph Johansen mdriscoll at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 20 17:09:36 MDT 2006

A  relevant excerpt from Chavez's address to the UN General Assembly today:

*And we must recall in this room that in just a few days there will be
another anniversary. Thirty years will have passed from this other
horrendous terrorist attack on the Cuban plane, where 73 innocents died,
a Cubana de Aviacion airliner. *

*And where is the biggest terrorist of this continent who took the
responsibility for blowing up the plane? He spent a few years in jail in
Venezuela. Thanks to CIA and then government officials, he was allowed
to escape, and he lives here in this country, protected by the
government. *

*And he was convicted. He has confessed to his crime. But the U.S.
government has double standards. It protects terrorism when it wants to. *

*And this is to say that Venezuela is fully committed to combating
terrorism and violence. And we are one of the people who are fighting
for peace. *

*Luis Posada Carriles is the name of that terrorist who is protected
here. And other tremendously corrupt people who escaped from Venezuela
are also living here under protection: a group that bombed various
embassies, that assassinated people during the coup. They kidnapped me
and they were going to kill me, but I think God reached down and our
people came out into the streets and the army was too, and so I'm here
today. *

*But these people who led that coup are here today in this country
protected by the American government. And I accuse the American
government of protecting terrorists and of having a completely cynical
discourse. *