[Marxism] Very biased NYT report on National Democratic Convention in Mexico City

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sun Sep 17 08:56:03 MDT 2006

M. Junaid Alam asks what made me think the NYT article was biased:

l. The headline: Throng Calls Loser Mexico?s ?Legitimate? President This
declares Obrador the loser in the vote. Although he has lost the
election (if you understand the nature of bourgeois elections, this is
true.  But it is clear that, among the three minority parties in the
vote, he won.  He lost the official electoral process, under the present
constitution, which has been used to institutionalize stolen elections.

2. The 150,000 figure.  Although I suspect the size of this gathering
did not equal earlier ones of a million or more, I suspect it is a
minimum figure, not a maximum figure. The fact that they call this a
"throng" and a "massive rally" likewise suggest this. It sounds like an
attempt to cover the low estimation.  Otherwise, they would have been
more inclined to stress the lower level of the mobilization.  I admit
this is a "maybe" point.

3."the massive rally seemed intended to keep Mr. López Obrador and his
political agenda from fading out of the national debate." This is
propaganda, assuming that the legitimately defeated Obrador is now
fading out of the picture, his 15 minutes are over, and he is trying to
go not gently into that dark night of irrelevance that he has earned.

That's my assessment of the article.  Muhammad has given his own.  I
hope this does not become a thread.

I probably should not have used the word "very" in my title. Maybe that
would have avoided this exchange, since I think the bias of the article
is obvious.
Fred

Throng Calls Loser Mexico?s ?Legitimate? President

By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.

MEXICO CITY, Sept. 16 ? More than 150,000 supporters of the losing
leftist candidate for president flooded into the capital?s historic
square on Saturday and declared him ?the legitimate president? of Mexico
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritorie
s/mexico/index.html?inline=nyt-geo> .

As his supporters roared approval, the candidate, Andrés
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/l/andres_man
uel_lopez_obrador/index.html?inline=nyt-per> Manuel López Obrador, a
former Mexico City mayor, vowed to set up his own government and to
fight against ?a band of white-collar crooks and corrupt politicians?
who he has said stole the election from him.

?I accept the responsibility of being president because I reject the
imposition of their candidate and rupture of the constitutional order,?
he said. ?They can keep their pirated institutions and their phony
president, but they cannot keep our fatherland and our national
dignity.?

Described as a national democratic convention, the massive rally seemed
intended to keep Mr. López Obrador and his political agenda from fading
out of the national debate.

Mexico?s highest electoral court ruled Sept. 5 that Mr. López Obrador
narrowly lost the July 2 election to Felipe
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/felipe_cal
deron/index.html?inline=nyt-per> Calderón, a conservative from President
Vicente Fox?s party. The leftist maintains there was a broad conspiracy
among business leaders, the Fox administration and news media barons to
keep him from winning, using tactics like illegal attack ads and
old-fashioned fraud.

Having lost a court battle for a full recount, Mr. López Obrador
resorted Saturday to a tactic with deep roots in Mexican history: he
convened a ?national convention? of his supporters to draw up a new
agenda for the country.

By a show of hands, the crowd unanimously denied Mr. Calderón had won.
They declared Mr. López Obrador president, asked him to form a cabinet
and supported a constitutional convention. ?It?s an honor to be with
Obrador,? they chanted.

Some historians said the convention echoed the alternative plans for
Mexico put forward by revolutionary heroes like Emilio Zapata and
Francisco I. Madero 100 years ago.

?The slow, difficult, incremental construction of the Mexican nation and
state has passed through dozens of plans, made in the heat of political
conflict,? said one historian, Lorenzo Meyer. ?The idea of conventions
and plans is something very much part of Mexican history.?

Antonio Betancourt contributed reportinCopyright
<http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/copyright.html> 2006 The
New York Times Company <http://www.nytco.com/>