[Marxism] RE: Obrador throwing in the towel?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 16 15:12:50 MDT 2006

"Jeffrey Thomas Piercy, El Pato Comunista" wrote:

> Is AMLO calling it quits?

The point is what difference does it make how anyone on this list
answers that question.

There is a large social movement, variously expressed, from the Tierra
del Fuego to latino neighborhoods throughout the u.s. Time spent by u.s.
comrades in judging, criticizing the various important names in that
movement is time spent in arguing over how many angels can dance on the
point of a needle. It is a more-or-less deliberate evasion of the
question of what, if anything, u.s. marxists can do locally to generate
forces within the u.s. to support that movement when it is attacked by
the u.s.

It has been nearly a half century since any important mass movement had
leadership that satisfied the shibboleths proposed by "stalinist,"
"trotskyist," "maoist," etcetera theoreticians in the u.s. It is about
time to recognize that while the marxist analysis of capitalism as a
whole has remained firm as a rock for over a century and a half the
various _specific_ theories of revolutionary practice that have risen at
one point or another during those years have little or no relvance any
place in the world.

The Chinese did differentiate between theory and thought, usefully for
their purposes, though I think they drew the line wrongly. They included
Lenin  (Marxism-Leninism) on the theory side, meaning thought that
remained fundamentally good without particular change over a whole long
historical epoch, while Mao-thought was relevant only to the particular
conditions of the Chinese Revolution. We should think of Lenin-Thought
and Kautsky-Thought and Gramsci=Thought and Trotsky-thought etc. in this
way. We have to work out our own thought and can't borrow it from any of
these.

Carrol

Carrol