[Marxism] Brazil s Lula still ahead in Polls

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Sep 9 11:02:03 MDT 2006

Walter wrote:
>I'm not aware of any strikes which the Brazilian government has
>broken. Racism remains in force, as it always has. Little seems to
>have changed except on a cultural level. It's remarkable, then, in
>the light of so little which has changed, why all the polls seem to
>confirm Lula's popularity. It's not dissimilar from South Africa in
>that respect.

Walter, are Marxists not to take positions that run counter to those
expressed in a poll? By this logic, we should have supported Bill
Clinton. We are content here to remain in a minority. If people like
Walter feel compelled to back Thabo Mbeki or Lula because they are
supported by a majority, that's their business. Of course, it has
absolutely nothing to do with the Marxist project which often
involves swimming against the stream. It is too bad that when Walter
decided to reject the ultraleft sectarianism of the Trotskyist
movement he went full-tilt into a kind of crypto-Stalinism of the
sort found in the "Friendship Committees" of the 1960s. At least
those committees did their free PR work for postcapitalist societies.
Why you would want to serve a one-man fan club for Lula or Thabo
Mbeki, presidents of bourgeois governments favoring the rich, is a
mystery to me.