[Marxism] Cockburn on 9/11 conspiracy nuts

Intense Red intnsred at golgotha.net
Thu Sep 7 17:24:24 MDT 2006

 > The official story was that Pearl Harbor was a raid by Japanese planes, not
 > a hoax conducted by US volunteers in copies of Japanese planes, and I
 > suppose I believe that official story as well.

   Since you mentioned Pearl Harbor, let's expand this a bit.  The "official
story" of Pearl Harbor is now being called into question in a serious way.

   An increasing amount of historians maintain that FDR knew in advance of the
Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

   Some agree with the views of the book "Day of Deceit" which state that FDR
had a deliberate policy to provoke Japan into attacking the US so that the US
could enter the war in a united way.  The book supports the policy theory
with Navy documents and firsthand testimony that the US was breaking the
Japanese naval code before Pearl Harbor.

   In either scenario, isn't that on the same scale as 9/11?  When one
considers that, along with other proposals by the US military to murder
Americans (e.g. Operation Northwoods), should we not consider that US gov't
complicity in 9/11 is a distinct *possibility*?

   Or are we to think that such things will just never happen in the USA?

   This obviously isn't to say that there was complicity; but to ignore any
possibility on the "idea" that this isn't how the US ruling class works is a
huge -- and unwise -- leap of faith.

--
"We know from a detainee that -- the head of training for al-Qaeda -- that
they sought help in developing chemical and biological weapons because they