[Marxism] Families of some Canadian soldiers speak out

Darrel Furlotte darrel.furlotte at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 17:43:55 MDT 2006

Military families speak out
Say they are against Afghan mission

Allan Woods
CanWest News Service

Monday, October 23, 2006

OTTAWA - Families of some Canadian soldiers say the escalating body count in
Afghanistan, and lack of success the international community has had bringing
security to the Afghan people, has convinced them the Harper government should
pull Canadian troops out of the war-torn country.

This is believed to be the first time Canadian military families of those
serving in Kandahar, or set to be deployed there, have publicly expressed their
anti-war sentiments.

In exclusive interviews with CanWest News Service, parents and siblings say they
are concerned about the dangerous fighting with the Taliban. They are also
unsettled by the war-focused nature of the mission, and see no end goal that
will define when, and under what conditions, Canadian troops will come home for
good.

''I am completely opposed to my son being used as ground fodder for an
undisclosed reason,'' says Chris Craig, from Victoria. ''I want to know why
we're there. The arguments that have been thus far presented don't do it for me.
They do not explain why my son and his friends should be maimed or killed in a
far-away country.''

Craig's 28-year-old son, a corporal who has served in Kabul and is set to go to
Afghanistan again in February, has attended the funerals of four fellow Canadian
soldiers. He has been a pallbearer at two of them.

Similarly, the fighting in Afghanistan hit too close to home for the 22-year-old
sister of a young soldier from Burlington, Ont., when his close friend, Pte.
Josh Klukie, 23, stepped on a booby trap and was killed Sept. 29 in Kandahar's
Panjwaii district.

''My eyes have been opened,'' says the young woman, who asked that she not be
identified for fear it could cause problems for her brother. ''When my brother
joined the military, he was a peacekeeper. Now he's killing off Taliban in
Afghanistan and it's just opened my eyes and I don't agree with it.''

The families have come forward at a time when the mission is causing deep
divisions in Canada.

A poll conducted by Ipsos Reid in late September found public backing for the
war had rebounded after it fell during the summer months, with 57 per cent of
Canadians in support of the use of combat troops in Afghanistan.

The survey suggested public support has an expiry date, with 51 per cent of
respondents saying Canada should withdraw its troops when the current military
commitment ends in 2009, regardless of the level of success achieved.

In recent months, the families of dead Canadian soldiers have tended to express
support for the war.

Indeed, the most vocal segment of the Canadian population which includes much of
the military community, as well as Prime Minister Stephen Harper have insisted
Canada should not abandon its efforts in the country.

The other side, which includes the military families who have now come forward
to express concern, has come to the conclusion that Canada's presence in
Afghanistan and particularly in the more dangerous Kandahar province is
misguided, is causing more problems than it resolves, and must come to an end.

Craig, 60, says there is an inner conflict that military families who feel the
way she does are struggling to deal with: how to support the soldier and oppose
the war.

''The guys my son knows feel totally empowered by their families. They also know
their families want them out of there, so this is a really unusual thing
happening in Canada. Families are speaking out against this and they're saying
'I love my son or daughter, I hope they're safe and I want it over,''' she says.
''How can you not be at odds?''

Paul Short, the father of a 25-year-old army medic who will be sent to
Afghanistan next February, said he erected a flagpole on the lawn of his home in
Bay Roberts, N.L., this summer and put up the Canadian flag.

''I'm looking out at this flag poll, this beautiful, proud flag poll with the
Canadian flag on it flying half staff and I'm constantly reminded of the young
people who are dying over there, and in my opinion, needlessly,'' he says.

''With regards to my son going in February, I'd trade places with him in a
minute. I'd go over without any training just to take his place.''

He says he told his son several weeks ago, ''If you do not want to go, then
don't go refuse to go and your parents will back you 100 per cent.''

''He didn't answer me,'' Short says.

The dissenting military families came to light after a call last summer by New
Democratic Party Leader Jack Layton to pull Canadian troops out of the counter-
insurgency mission in southern Afghanistan a position for which Layton has been
pilloried on Parliament Hill.

''I have never voted for the NDP in my life. It's just that the Liberals made a
mess of this a while back, then Stephen Harper picked up on it. I don't know
what happened when Stephen Harper took over. It just went to hell in a
handbag,'' Short says.

''It's all right for Stephen Harper to say that that's the price you pay when
you go to war, but that affects so many lives. Just because that person's life
ended it doesn't mean that everybody else is not suffering around them. Stephen
Harper don't seem to realize that.''

Layton says military families have important concerns that have not been heard
in the debate over Canada's role in Afghanistan. He says it is a ''nuanced''
position that needs to be heard.

''I think there is something particularly poignant about the opinions of these
families, which isn't to diminish the view of military families who are taking a
different perspective on it,'' he says. ''They're like Canadians except they
have an even deeper connection that is as intimate as it gets.''

Military experts have echoed criticism of the mission, but they are quick to say
it is a ''simplistic'' idea to pull Canadian troops from Afghanistan and risk
creating a power vacuum that will be filled by Taliban militants.

However, right now Canadian troops spend about 90 per cent of their time engaged
in combat and just 10 per cent on reconstruction and humanitarian efforts, while
a winning formula should be the opposite, according to Walter Dorn, a professor
of peacekeeping at the Royal Military College. Dorn teaches majors, generals and
combat commanders who have served in Afghanistan.

''It seems to me that for every person that we kill, we create relatives and
associates who increase the level of hatred and we're sowing the seeds for
future attacks,'' he says in an interview from New York, where he is working
with the United Nations. ''If you don't win the hearts and minds of the people,
you'll lose.''

awoods at cns.canwest.com