[Marxism] From Stan Goff

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 31 15:14:31 MST 2006

Written 20 days ago... the number actualized today.

Distribute widely

THE 3,000 MILESTONE

The 3,000 Milestone is the most recent essay on
the war by Stan Goff. It is written as US troop
fatalities in Iraq have passed 2,950, and 3,000
will likely be reached by New Year’s Day or
shortly after
 before the Democrat-majority
Congress is seated on January 20th. We want
people to use it as they see fit throughout the
alternative media to support and bolster the case
for immediate and unilateral withdrawl of all US military forces from Iraq.

The 3,000 Milestone

by Stan Goff

As the grim milestone of the 3,000th American
troop death approaches in Iraq, what can we say
about the war that hasn’t been said before?

On September 7, 2005, I wrote a lengthy
analysis-from-afar on political and military
developments in Iraq, called The Danger of Iraqi
Partition. On that same day, we were approaching
the 2,000 US-dead-in-Iraq milestone, 1,892 to be
exact. Just as today, in the United States these
figures of US troop deaths garner the attention
of the media, that still pretends the hundreds of
thousands of Iraqis dead, wounded, and displaced are a mere footnote.

It reminds one of the old Tarzan novels of Edgar
Rice Burroughs, where the entire world exists as
a background within which a white European male
protagonist can have an adventure about which
white males can fantasize. The media in the US is
still completely the captive of the White Man’s
Burden narrative, even though the term, “White
Man,” has now been supplanted by “American.” This
is evident in the reflexive valorization of
American life over the lives of dark foreigners ­
which, admittedly, is necessary to sustain
circulation and political clout in a culture of
national chauvinism. It is also evident in the
seeming inability to visualize any “solution” to
the whirlwind reaped by US policy in Iraq that
does not require the continued employment of US troops to occupy Iraq.

While this milestone will be used ­ as it should
be in my opinion ­ to mobilize emotional support
for the redeployment of US troops back to the
United States and the end of the US military
occupation of Iraq, I am going to take this
opportunity ­ which it is ­ to introduce a more
clinical account of what is happening with this
war. It is fairly obvious now that most Americans
want to be rid of this war. In a sense, then, the
campaign to build opposition has achieved
momentum in a direction that seems unlikely to be
reversed. The question that arises now, and the
one for which there is little satisfaction in
mainstream commercialized or Democratic Party
discourse, is what do “we” do? How do “we” get out?

The principal reason there have been no
satisfactory answers to that question is that the
majority of people rely on professional pundits
and news models to acquire the baseline
impressions of what is actually happening in
Iraq. The account that is being propagated is one
that is shallow, simplistic, largely inaccurate,
and widely believed by the pundits themselves.
They themselves are the captives of their own
chauvinist assumptions and of the cosmic vacuums in their heads where...

FULL at http://www.insurgentamerican.net/2006/12/06/the-3000-milestone/#more-11

Stan Goff

2 New Books-

"Sex & War"
http://www.lulu.com/content/276367

"Energy War - Exterminism for the 21st Century"
http://stangoff.com/?p=400