[Marxism] Marable: Empire, Racism and Resistance: Global Apartheid and Prospects for A Democratic Future

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 17:10:56 MST 2006

On 12/29/06, Mike Friedman <mikedf at amnh.org> wrote:

> Empire, Racism and Resistance
> Global Apartheid and Prospects for A Democratic Future
>
> By Dr. Manning Marable, PhD

So long as African Americans were the chief casualties in the ranks of
> those who were permanently unemployed, white elected officials could
> afford to ignore the crisis. But now, increasingly, millions of white
> workers who have considered themselves "middle class" are being pushed
> into the ranks of the jobless. In late July 2004, the Labor Department's
> Bureau of Labor Statistics noted that between 2001 and 2003, 8.7 percent
> of all jobholders in the U.S. were permanently dismissed from their jobs.
> [...]
>
> Integral to all of this is racism, sometimes openly vicious and
> unambiguous, but much more frequently presented in race neutral,
> color-blind language.

The two paragraphs above seem contradictory to me. If  "increasingly,
millions of white workers  are being pushed into the ranks of the jobless"
also, then "integral to all this is racism" doesn't sound convincing as an
explanation.