[Marxism] 10 myths -- and 10 truths -- about atheism

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 29 03:24:47 MST 2006

Given the gigantic media campaigns against Islamic Fundamentalism we
have been subjected to in the U.S. media, we might wonder, is the glass
half-empty, or is it half-full? If 34% say that they are NOW ready to vote
for a Muslim to be President of these United States of America, it may be
a sign that things are getting better, not worse. Would we have read of
such a large number as 34% five or ten years ago? I think probably not.

It should be fascinating to see what happens with Keith Ellison and his
swearing in process. I understand that Dennis Prager, the rightist militant
here in Los Angeles who denuncified Keith Ellison for his plans to hold a
swearing-in ceremony for himself when he enters Congress in January,
has been forced to at least partially retract what he was saying against
Ellison.

Fear of Islam today seems to have replaced "fear of Communism" as the
bugaboo of the moment. We're living in rather interesting times.

Walter Lippmann
Los Angeles, California
======================================

EL PATO COMUNISTA wrote:
In the 2001 census, those who fell under the category of
"No Religion/Atheist/Agnostic" were 15% of the population.
Even if these new numbers are true, "less than 10%" is still
probably higher than all non-Christian religious folk combined, 5.2%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States#Popular_affiliation

Also, are you sure that more than 37% would say they'd vote for an
atheist president in the past? I wouldn't think it's a new trend.

Finally, in a June 24-27 poll 53% said no when asked if they "could vote
for a Muslim candidate for president" versus 34% who said yes. The first
time I saw that I was rather shocked at how conscious (and accepting)
people are of their own prejudice. It's like its actually PC to openly
distrust American Muslims.