[Marxism] Argentina

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Dec 20 16:46:54 MST 2006

>This Friday another Argentine film, FAMILY LAW opens which deals
>with father-son conflicts. I had those issues, and am also Jewish so
>this film has already grabbed me from the often-repeated trailer.
>
>Walter Lippmann
>Los Angeles, California

I watched a screener of this film yesterday and was somewhat
disappointed since I had greater expectations from the director
responsible for "Waiting for the Messiah". I can recommend it as long
as you are prepared for a rather inconsequential character study of
middle-class Jews in Argentina done with a very dry comic touch. It
is filled with the quiet, daily interactions of a Jewish lawyer, his
law professor son in his 30s, his gentile wife who is a Pilates
instructor and their young son. I found watching the film almost
equivalent to listening to my neighbor's conversations through the
ventilator. Fascinating, but not for 140 minutes.