[Marxism] Class and the "parenting gap" : NYT

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Mon Dec 18 14:59:28 MST 2006

I end to agree with you that, in general, the education system exists
to sustain our social order. I don't agree with Sayan's post to the
effect that there is a problem with the home environment that holds
students back (remember Moynihan?). But, I also think the reality 'on
the ground' is much more complex and contradictory. Do you have
children, Mark? Where would you rather send a child of yours, to a
mainstream NYC "factory school," where students are expected to shut
up and obey, or one of the various alternative schools, where
students can at least learn alternative viewpoints and critiques, and
are expected to think a bit more critically about their social
environment. I've taught at both, and send my son to the latter. The
latter is better. For most of us Marxists, we got our political
education from our parents and/or from life (including butting heads
with our teachers and schools), but let's not make a virtue of
necessity (or something like that...). I also recognize the
limitations of these schools. It's no doubt true that even
alternative public schools support the status quo (or else they
wouldn't even be allowed to survive at the margins). A friend was
fired from a prominent "progressive" alternative school years ago for
taking to heart the empowerment message and encouraging a student
solidarity walkout. But, I regard it as, on the whole, positive, that
my son gets to read Malcolm X, learns to critique the mass media, is
able to express his opposition to the war in Iraq in his school.

Mike

--
Michael Friedman
Doctoral Candidate in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Behavior

Molecular Systematics Laboratory
Department of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
79th Street at Central Park West