[Marxism] Green Party statement

DCQ deeseekyou at comcast.net
Thu Dec 14 21:41:02 MST 2006

Ugh. It's this weak-minded garbage that keeps me from joining the Green
Party. Every time I think I'm just about ready to jump in, the it
reminds me why I haven't.

For fucksakes. I'm all for engaging radical Democrats in a debate, even
people like McKinney, who have more than a few things to answer for
(like Bush's blank check for war). But the left will get nowhere with
such kowtowing and sycophantic apologetics.

Yes. Fine. Defend McKinney when she comes under a racist right-wing
attack. Defend her when her party stabs her in the back.

But the Georgia Greens have tailed McKinney so doggedly that they're
starting to stink.

Nothing but fawning admiration for her and the most timid criticisms of
the Democrats (for failing to support her). No recognition of her final
bill sponsorships as little more than "legacies," last-minute political
statements designed to shore up her support among her constituents and
her reputation among progressives (if I were going to be really
cynical, I'd add: "and her resume for her speaking tours"). How much
should I wager that this stunt--it's really little more than that--will
end up on the dust-jacket of her next memoir?

If this is your left opposition, why would McKinney bother switching
parties? More to the point, why would anyone else?

And beyond that, let's just look at the GP's priorities: cringe-worthy
ingratiation for the most pathetic of political gestures versus not a
single goddamn word in their press releases about the recent
immigration raids, or about the police shootings of Sean Bell or
Kathryn Johnston. No. No. No. Let's focus instead on the meaningless
political maneuverings in the halls of congress.